Identity: Choices.

nora99
I am a daughter. I am a sister. I am a student. I am a girl. I am human.

I am me.

I am my choices.

We are the sum of everybody we have ever known, and everything we have ever done.

I walk towards my friends, my protection from dreaded isolation: the mark of being rejected. In the cafeteria, Timothy, who has Down syndrome, glances up hopefully. Maybe today will be the day I don’t have to sit alone, he thinks. I keep walking. BAM! Another deed tacked onto the never ending list of rights and wrongs and who knows, that, combined, make up Nora. Daughter. Sister. Student. Girl. Human. Me. Choices.

I rush to the trailers. I am late. The halls are empty. Except: except for a low sound. Easy to overlook in the bustling crowds of harried students trying to get to class. But the halls are empty now. I can hear the sound. Her. Her tears. I could’ve kept going. Could’ve looked the other way. It would have been more convenient. For everyone. Well, everyone except for her. His hulking shadow easily overwhelmed her’s, fragile where his was strong. Just as his hulking form easily overwhelmed her ‘s, cowering where his was taking. Taking too much. Too much of what she did not offer. Except. Except this time, I said something. I did not turn the other way. BAM! This time, a right.

The cafeteria. A deserted hallway. A restroom. A movie theatre. A playground. These mundane corners of existence make up the patchwork quilt that is the culmination of My Life. These are our moments of truth. This is what defines us.
Comment by nora99

This is my first writing contest entry. How do I know if it's been submitted or not?
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:17:57 AM