Identity: Loving Yourself

lizaloop1
Being adopted into a white family was hard. But growing up in an all white community was even harder. I always knew i was different, that i was darker then everyone around me. When I was young kids my age would ask me." Why are you black?" and " Whats wrong with you?" I never knew what to say. My mom told me just to say thats how god made me. So I did that. Middle school was even harder, being the only colored girl people would call me: Burnt toast, coal, and dark chocolate. I would laugh along so they wouldn't know it bugged me. It came to the point where I hated Martin Luther King JR day because all the kids would say" your only here because he made you freed." Growing up in Placerville CA there were ver few colored people so whenever I saw one they were like a celebrity to me. Another thing I endured was the looks. All around me people had straight hair and mine was so thick and curly. I would spend hours straightening my hair so i would look like the other girls. Sometimes my skin would be dry and the other kids would call me ashy or say," your turing white". Everything seemed to be wrong with me. My hair wasn't straight enough and my skin wasn't light enough. High school was better and worse. It was better because I was no longer the only colored person. There were 2 black guys and 1 other black girl. Even though there were only 4 of us it was better than being the only one. It was worse because kids in high school were more honest and mean. I was constantly called "nigger"and asked if i ate fried chicken. I could never be accepted. Even my friend would make little jokes about my race. During the summer after my freshman year i joined a support group in Sacramento for African Americans girls. It was such a blessing to hear i was'n;t the only one who faced racism. I learned to stand up fro myself and tell someone when racism or any kind of bullying is happening, I slowly began to start loving myself for who I am. I believe every girl of every color is beautiful and worthy of being loved. Don't let others have the power to define who you are. Still to this day kids will ask," Why are you black?" and I always look proudly in their eyes and say." Thats how god made me."