Identity: So, About High School...

Tyler.Johnson51
I go to a school where all that matters is your name or your athletic ability. Well, I don't have either. I know that once I graduate high school, none of that stuff matters, but I know it would certainly make life easier now.
I'm the type of kid who sits in the back of the classroom, slouched in my desk that says just enough to get by. I'm told that I'm smart by people but I do not really believe them. I get good enough grades but I feel like I'm missing something that I just can't quite put my finger on. I consider myself to be an underachiever.
High school really does something to teenagers. Everything that people say bad about high school is true. People that you were friends with in eighth grade suddenly turn their backs on you. Sports and hobbies that you used to enjoy become jaded. Going to baseball practices or games used to be the highlight of my day. Nowadays, it just seems like a chore that I'm forced to do.
Sure I'm apathetic and lethargic, but I'm so much more than that. I am also cliché, pedantic and redundant. Anybody who says that high school was the best time of their life obviously has a pretty average life.  I really cannot wait to go to college and leave this godforsaken valley and never return. I can be somebody else, maybe even find myself again, out in the real world. In the words of Third Eye Blind, I can "cut ties with all the lies that I've been livin' in."
My biggest fear in life is probably being sucked back into the Ohio Valley and never being able to leave. This valley has or tractor beam or something that somehow can pull back everyone, forever. That will not happen to me. It cannot happen to me. I don’t know if college will bring anything better, but if there is a God, he’d help me out at least a little bit. If not Christian God, then teenage Buddha or L. Ron Hubbard or Allah.  
I feel like I don't belong anywhere. I love California and Florida, but like the average temperature, the people are just too warm. I belong in a Chicago or Cleveland or New York City, where the people are as cold as the wind chill. There is only one problem with that: I hate the cold and snow. I hate it I really do. That is the only thing in this world that I have a very strong opinion about. The world could explode tomorrow, and my response would be surprisingly lukewarm, probably something along the lines of, "meh."
I guess the point of high school is to wade through your friend pool to find your real niche, and discover that the world will continue to turn with or without you, so you better catch up. You might even figure out who you really are in the process.