STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: So, About High School...

Tyler.Johnson51
I go to a school where all that matters is your name or your athletic ability. Well, I don't have either. I know that once I graduate high school, none of that stuff matters, but I know it would certainly make life easier now.
I'm the type of kid who sits in the back of the classroom, slouched in my desk that says just enough to get by. I'm told that I'm smart by people but I do not really believe them. I get good enough grades but I feel like I'm missing something that I just can't quite put my finger on. I consider myself to be an underachiever.
High school really does something to teenagers. Everything that people say bad about high school is true. People that you were friends with in eighth grade suddenly turn their backs on you. Sports and hobbies that you used to enjoy become jaded. Going to baseball practices or games used to be the highlight of my day. Nowadays, it just seems like a chore that I'm forced to do.
Sure I'm apathetic and lethargic, but I'm so much more than that. I am also cliché, pedantic and redundant. Anybody who says that high school was the best time of their life obviously has a pretty average life.  I really cannot wait to go to college and leave this godforsaken valley and never return. I can be somebody else, maybe even find myself again, out in the real world. In the words of Third Eye Blind, I can "cut ties with all the lies that I've been livin' in."
My biggest fear in life is probably being sucked back into the Ohio Valley and never being able to leave. This valley has or tractor beam or something that somehow can pull back everyone, forever. That will not happen to me. It cannot happen to me. I don’t know if college will bring anything better, but if there is a God, he’d help me out at least a little bit. If not Christian God, then teenage Buddha or L. Ron Hubbard or Allah.  
I feel like I don't belong anywhere. I love California and Florida, but like the average temperature, the people are just too warm. I belong in a Chicago or Cleveland or New York City, where the people are as cold as the wind chill. There is only one problem with that: I hate the cold and snow. I hate it I really do. That is the only thing in this world that I have a very strong opinion about. The world could explode tomorrow, and my response would be surprisingly lukewarm, probably something along the lines of, "meh."
I guess the point of high school is to wade through your friend pool to find your real niche, and discover that the world will continue to turn with or without you, so you better catch up. You might even figure out who you really are in the process.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy