Identity: Not Just a Letter

america233
Everyone always says that high school goes on to define who you are, but why? Is it the friends we have, or the mistakes we have made, or even the grades we get? I have thought about this a lot as I try to figure out who I am. When I was younger I thought I knew who I was and thought I had it all together. Then as I entered high school my world turned upside down, and nothing else in the entire world seemed to matter but grades. The first “bad” grade I got the first quarter changed everything. That grade, which most people just saw as a letter, defined me. I let such a silly letter become me. I hated it, the way that grades were everything but what was I suppose to do? Defy the rules and get even more bad grades? I couldn’t, so I become obsessed with getting good grades, but I just couldn’t I worked a little harder, a little longer, and did more work than I had to but I just could not uphold all the standards everyone expected. So that left me feeling torn down. I was a failure, or so I thought. To this day I struggle with grades, and I still work a little harder, a little longer and do more than I have to, but I am not a failure. My identity is not in the letter marked on my report card. I am a person, I work hard, I try my best, and that is what defines me. Success was no longer what I got at the end of the race, but the race itself. The hardships, the struggle, the part you think you just can’t go any further without collapsing. Those are the things that make you who you are, and it is what made me who I am. Now when a problem comes my way I do not focus on getting to the end but I focus on the experience. The experience is what has changed the way I think, the way I look at a problem, and that ultimately who I am.