STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: The Fighter

TheBoyOfBelmont
We are much more than words on a page. People do not just suddenly come into existence. We grow. We develop. We are not merely a product of our experiences. We think, we dream, we act on our dreams. But neither can we define ourselves differently then what we were destined to be. Some people change. Some people never do, and there is nothing wrong with that. It’s the ambiguity of this question, “Who am I,” that often sends people running for the door, to escape back to their day to day routine.
So who am I? Well, I’ll be honest, the door looks pretty tempting right now. But I’ll give it a shot. I identify myself by my name, Colin Kelly. I was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, and have grown up in Belmont County, Ohio all my life. I love country music, Walt Whitman, airplanes, and running. A product of the 9/11 generation, I grew up in an uncertain world, one that mirrored my own character as a child. Curious and shy, rambunctious and reserved, I was all these things in one, and I spent most days daydreaming about the world. It was a peaceful childhood, one that would not last. The uncertainty of my character was revealed to me when I started school. There was great difficult learning in the beginning; I had to have a speech therapist and ended up retaking preschool. Many of my teachers thought I had ADD or some type of learning disability. Quite simply, that made me feel worthless. However, my parents, adamant that neither I nor they should accept defeat, took me to a tutor an hour away from our home to study with on a weekly basis. This event, the first of many, defined me. Life is a sequence of events, one after the other, each new occurrence enlightening your character. And in that moment, I found my defining characteristic. Resilience.
Next, I found adventure. With my speech impediment behind me (I had succeeded in getting through grade school), and armed with a new found resilience, I progressed through life with the belief that anything was possible, so long as the required work was done. I approached life as I would climbing a tree; reaching the innumerable branches, each a new and exciting avenue of discovery, could only be done by trekking up the anchor of those branches, the trunk. I started to succeed at school. Starting in the 5th grade, I attended a local private school, Linsly, thanks to the loving faith of my parents. I worked diligently, often staying up late at night while other kids were asleep. But I enjoyed it. Not the success I later achieved, but the struggle. Later on in life, I would charge into many new expenditures. I began to write short stories, worked construction, took flying lessons, received my scuba diving license, and found the love of my life. Life is a war, and I have decided to face it head on.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy