Identity: The Fighter

TheBoyOfBelmont
We are much more than words on a page. People do not just suddenly come into existence. We grow. We develop. We are not merely a product of our experiences. We think, we dream, we act on our dreams. But neither can we define ourselves differently then what we were destined to be. Some people change. Some people never do, and there is nothing wrong with that. It’s the ambiguity of this question, “Who am I,” that often sends people running for the door, to escape back to their day to day routine.
So who am I? Well, I’ll be honest, the door looks pretty tempting right now. But I’ll give it a shot. I identify myself by my name, Colin Kelly. I was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, and have grown up in Belmont County, Ohio all my life. I love country music, Walt Whitman, airplanes, and running. A product of the 9/11 generation, I grew up in an uncertain world, one that mirrored my own character as a child. Curious and shy, rambunctious and reserved, I was all these things in one, and I spent most days daydreaming about the world. It was a peaceful childhood, one that would not last. The uncertainty of my character was revealed to me when I started school. There was great difficult learning in the beginning; I had to have a speech therapist and ended up retaking preschool. Many of my teachers thought I had ADD or some type of learning disability. Quite simply, that made me feel worthless. However, my parents, adamant that neither I nor they should accept defeat, took me to a tutor an hour away from our home to study with on a weekly basis. This event, the first of many, defined me. Life is a sequence of events, one after the other, each new occurrence enlightening your character. And in that moment, I found my defining characteristic. Resilience.
Next, I found adventure. With my speech impediment behind me (I had succeeded in getting through grade school), and armed with a new found resilience, I progressed through life with the belief that anything was possible, so long as the required work was done. I approached life as I would climbing a tree; reaching the innumerable branches, each a new and exciting avenue of discovery, could only be done by trekking up the anchor of those branches, the trunk. I started to succeed at school. Starting in the 5th grade, I attended a local private school, Linsly, thanks to the loving faith of my parents. I worked diligently, often staying up late at night while other kids were asleep. But I enjoyed it. Not the success I later achieved, but the struggle. Later on in life, I would charge into many new expenditures. I began to write short stories, worked construction, took flying lessons, received my scuba diving license, and found the love of my life. Life is a war, and I have decided to face it head on.