Identity: Not Born Once But Forever Changing

kaitlin159
“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” – Gabriel García Márquez.
Many think of identity as a journey you take as a child until one day your journey finally ends and you’re the person you’ve always wanted to be. I think of this as the dream state of identity. The invisible plane where all people reside until one day something wakes them up from this dream and suddenly their identity is realized. Some people claim to have this life-changing moment when they’ve finally found themselves, while others seem to never really find themselves at all.
I am not like these people, because I completely reject this theory.
I, like Gabriel García Márquez, believe your identity is ever changing. You are who you think you are and, yes, it’s that simple. The concept people often refer to as “finding yourself” is a complete hoax. We don’t find ourselves, we just understand who we are sometimes better than others. As a teenage girl, I can say without a doubt that I am at war with myself constantly; I have 50,000 moods and 1,000,000 opinions that both change very regularly. I get upset and crazy and I love and hate and have the time of my life…all in the span of a day. So, if our attitudes, opinions, and even our choices in life ‘identify’ us, and these things are forever changing, then doesn’t our identity change too? We have core passions and values that are understood from a young age and usually stay the same for our whole lives, but other than those steady values, we change constantly! Our identities are kind of like math: we add to them and subtract parts of them and there are steady constants. I can say right now that the constants in my identity are my work ethic and my moral values, but they only comprise the tip of the iceberg that is me. I understand who I am in these areas of my life, though I continue to learn more about myself everyday.
So, I could sit here and type up a 500-word essay on who I think I am, all my pros and cons, but that would only be my identity today. If you tried to identify me in the future, near or far, you probably would not recognize me. So, for now, I’ll save you the torture of reading who I used to be moments ago.
I have already changed.