Identity: Small Town

dsherp97
Some people might say it was wrong, and some say it was right, but this is where I belong.
Growing up wasn’t easy for me. I was the second child of a single seventeen year old mother, who, like most teens wanted to party, and drink and hang out with friends. She had a responsibility though. She had two babies she had to watch after, and all she wanted to do was have fun. I don’t remember much of my early years as a child, but I do remember the later years.
From about the age of three I remember fear and neglect, and being three all I wanted was someone to love me. My brother and I would stay home alone for as long as she was away, starving, and awaiting her arrival. My brother, only one year older than me had the role of watching over me, and I had the role of the rest.
Soon came another child who was one year younger than me, and when he was old enough to walk, he soon stayed home, and she went away. Being so small I learned fast that my life was not as it was supposed to be, but we could not change anything.
My mother lost custody of my brothers and I and we went to different relatives. I went to live with my grandmother and grandfather. Things took a turn for the worse, but I was always ready to tackle what was ahead of me. Not knowing who I was and where I belonged was a huge obstacle that I had to overcome and I soon realized this is not what my life was supposed to like.
At age seven I moved back into my mother’s home, who said “I’ve changed, I’m doing better,” but things got a lot worse for me and my family. Where did I stand in my mother’s life? Who was I to her, and who was she to me? I had no clue, but what I did know was, she was NOT my mother. I needed a role model, someone to show me the ropes, to pick me up when I fell, and to brush me off. She was gone from me, and most of all I was gone from her.
Foster care was a battle, I had lived with my mother for only a few months and I was yet again taken away. Bouncing from home to home and finally into residential, and back in to homes is what my life turned into. I still didn’t find who I was. I didn’t know where I belonged.
Then coming into a small town where I thought, this is only temporarily and don’t get attached to anyone. Stay away from those who try to love you, they will only hurt you. This is where my life changed forever. I realized that I am someone. I belong somewhere, and that place is here in this small life changing town.