Identity: More Than A Miracle

CarGau14
When I was born, the doctors didn't think I'd live long, but they were dedicated to doing everything they could. So a helicopter flew my father and I to the nearest children's hospital for intensive care. I survived and was branded a "miracle." Later, when I was eight, I had a seizure that lasted nearly two hours, but I woke up. I continued living. Now I bear the title "seizure disorder." When I was 12 I acknowledged my attraction to boys and girls and learned what bisexual meant and that it meant me. A few months later, my eyes opened to all of the injustice and inequality in the world. My family called me an "angry feminist" every time I opened my mouth. Around the same time life became tough. I felt alone, sad, worthless and tired, so tired of everything. The doctor explained that I "suffered from depression," and that with help, life would get better. I'm still waiting.

However, all of this is insignificant to me. I may be a "miracle," have a seizure disorder, be bisexual and a feminist, and also suffer from depression, but I am also more than that. I am writer, a reader, and a viewer. I am a daughter, a sister, and an aunt. I am a jokester, a friend, and a fanatic. I am everything that has affected my life and then some. I am my experiences. I am my good qualities and my faults.

I am whatever I choose to be.