My Hero: The Man in the Mirror

19drea93
A person that I deeply admire is the great Michael Jackson. Not only has his music made it impossible for even the most conservative people to get up and dance, but his humanitarian work cannot be topped. Michael Jackson is my hero because he gave millions of dollars to help others and used his talent to raise awareness to others.

Michael Jackson grew up in a poor environment therefore he knew what it was like to go without. Because of this he had a soft spot in his hard for those who were less fortunate than him. He has worked with such charities as the American Cancer Society, the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation and the Make a Wish Foundation. Over the course of his life, he has given over 300 million dollars in his philanthropy efforts. In 2000, he received the Guinness World Record for supporting more charities than any other celebrity. If Jackson can dedicate himself to his 39 charities than anyone can at least commit to one.

Michael Jackson is most remembered for his music. One of his most well known songs was “Man in the Mirror” which carried very special meaning encouraging fans to change themselves in order to change the world. All of the profits Jackson received from the song were donated to charity. Jackson also had songs dealing with apartheid (“TheyDon’t Really Care about Us”), racism (“Black or White”) and environmental issues (“Earth Song”). His most powerful song was “We are the World” which featured many artists including Lionel Richie, Cyndi Lauper, Diana Ross and Sting. The song introduced the “We are the World” foundation which raised over 10.8 million dollars to help in the famine in Africa.

All around the world people are still starving due to a lack of resources. There are also cultures, religions, and races that are still not accepted right here in America. You do not need to have a lot of money to make a change just determination and a giving heart. Michael Jackson has inspired us to change the world and I will remember him for that above all else.