STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

heros

hsumerix
I thought my life had ended on February second, 2009. Well, at least my entire life as I knew it. That was the day my dad dropped me and my brother off in Akron, Ohio to live with my aunt and uncle, as a ploy to leave my mom and us for another woman. Yet, that experience turned out to be the best of my life, thanks to the Barker-Palan family. Their constant encouragement and love that they showed towards me, motivating me to succeed, makes them my hero’s.
At first, I had a hard time “seeing the light at the end of the tunnel”. I was depressed from fear of being in a strange place with new people. Gradually however, their consistent participation in my life gave me the support I needed to carry on. Even before we started school my Aunt Jamie had me, my brother, and Cousin Josh volunteering with our new high schools production of “the play”, in efforts to get my brother and me to meet new friends and get involved in school activity. To my surprise, since I planned on dreading it the entire time and being a recluse, it was actually the best night of my life. That night I met two people whom are now two of my very close personal friends, Samantha Clarke and Jonathan Halverson. From then on I and my brother were completely embraced by the students and faculty of Firestone High. This of course boosted my self esteem and opened my mind to actually seeing what northern school curriculum had to offer me. Turns out I was very successful, and left my sophomore year with good grades.
In between my educational challenges, I had a few emotional hurdles to jump also. Realizing my previous hero (my dad) had abandoned me and my mom being an emotional wreck herself (she would not talk to anyone), made me feel very alone. In those times, in the moments where I felt like I had nothing left, the Barker-Palan family would some how know and have a “family night” or just hold me while I cried. I remember my first “family dinner”. I was extremely quiet, since the entire concept alone was foreign to me, my family never got along enough to sit at an entire meal together. Then my Aunt Jamie looked over at me and said “Ha’ani what is your high of the day, and your low of the day?” evidently it was a game that they played at the dinner table. However, I was sort of startled by the question. I thought for a second and replied with “my high was helping with the play; my low was getting mud all over my shoes.” I know that this moment seems fairly ordinary, but it was anything but ordinary, it was the moment I did not feel alone any more. From that day forward they accepted me as if I was one of their own, providing for me, kissing me good night, and helping me in any way they could. I have never felt more at home till I met them.
Their family gave me something to always look forward to, a constant life goal; somewhere where I know that I will be happy and supported, to live with them and attend Akron University. Not only have they given me a future, but they have and still continue to give me the strength I need to pursue this. In being the amorous, compassionate people they are, they made me who I am today.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy