STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

my hero is my mother

WrestlingSaint
When first faced with this paper I thought it would be a daunting task. I assumed that this would be just another English paper I threw together less than twelve hours before the due date. Now as I write this the words flow freely from my pen as if they were written on my heart all along. This essay is about my hero and how one gesture made he so.
Growing up I always thought heroes fed hungry babies in Africa and saved the planet from exploding meteors. As a young adult I now realize that heroes come in plain clothes, no capes or masks just loving hearts and open arms; they save lives and hearts on a smaller scale but nonetheless change the world. At the risk of sounding cliché my hero is my mother.
My mother is my hero because in all my life she’s never really let me down. I remember one Christmas when I was a little girl, we had just moved into this new apartment. It was our first Christmas in a new state, all the presents were wrapped up and it was Christmas Eve. Everything was perfect save for one thing, we had no tree. I had spent the last couple of days moping because we had no tree to decorate or place our presents under. As my mother tucked me in before heading off to work she apologized for not having a tree and that Christmas would still be good without it. That night my mother became a hero, she worked her hands bare that night and made enough tips to buy us a Christmas tree. When I woke up the next morning just like the miracle of baby Jesus we had a Christmas tree. The lights twinkled and the tree was decorated with little ornaments I had made over the years in school, this wasn’t any ordinary Christmas tree though this tree was special, just as God had given the world something special that night so did my mother. My mother was a hero that night because we could have eaten for a week on that money, she could have bought herself new socks instead of sewing up the same holes in the ones she had or coloring the scuffs in her shoes with a permanent marker. Instead of doing all those things she bought a tree to make that morning as special as it deserved to be. That morning she made a little girls dream come true, that’s why she’s a hero.
Heroes come in plain clothes, they makes people’s dreams come true and go without just a moment of another person’s pleasure. They have holes in their socks and Sharpie colored scuff marks on their shoes. They eat less so others can have a full stomach, they lose sleep worrying about bills and they never miss plays, recitals, or Christmas’. I know a real life superhero and she’s all mine.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy