my hero is my mother

WrestlingSaint
When first faced with this paper I thought it would be a daunting task. I assumed that this would be just another English paper I threw together less than twelve hours before the due date. Now as I write this the words flow freely from my pen as if they were written on my heart all along. This essay is about my hero and how one gesture made he so.
Growing up I always thought heroes fed hungry babies in Africa and saved the planet from exploding meteors. As a young adult I now realize that heroes come in plain clothes, no capes or masks just loving hearts and open arms; they save lives and hearts on a smaller scale but nonetheless change the world. At the risk of sounding cliché my hero is my mother.
My mother is my hero because in all my life she’s never really let me down. I remember one Christmas when I was a little girl, we had just moved into this new apartment. It was our first Christmas in a new state, all the presents were wrapped up and it was Christmas Eve. Everything was perfect save for one thing, we had no tree. I had spent the last couple of days moping because we had no tree to decorate or place our presents under. As my mother tucked me in before heading off to work she apologized for not having a tree and that Christmas would still be good without it. That night my mother became a hero, she worked her hands bare that night and made enough tips to buy us a Christmas tree. When I woke up the next morning just like the miracle of baby Jesus we had a Christmas tree. The lights twinkled and the tree was decorated with little ornaments I had made over the years in school, this wasn’t any ordinary Christmas tree though this tree was special, just as God had given the world something special that night so did my mother. My mother was a hero that night because we could have eaten for a week on that money, she could have bought herself new socks instead of sewing up the same holes in the ones she had or coloring the scuffs in her shoes with a permanent marker. Instead of doing all those things she bought a tree to make that morning as special as it deserved to be. That morning she made a little girls dream come true, that’s why she’s a hero.
Heroes come in plain clothes, they makes people’s dreams come true and go without just a moment of another person’s pleasure. They have holes in their socks and Sharpie colored scuff marks on their shoes. They eat less so others can have a full stomach, they lose sleep worrying about bills and they never miss plays, recitals, or Christmas’. I know a real life superhero and she’s all mine.