My Hero is my Dad

[email protected]
Audrey Price
10-25-10
3rd Period
HERO ESSAY

A hero to me is someone that inspires others, someone that is willing to risk everything they have for the ones they love, and that person to me is my dad. My mother and father conceived me when they were extremely young and much unprepared for their own consequences. When my mom was ready to quit and couldn’t handle it anymore my dad took over, alone. As hard as these 17 years have been for my dad he has never once given up, he’s always stayed persistent and strong.
My mother was my age when she became pregnant, she was scared but my dad was always there for her, and for me. After 3 years of me being in the picture, my mom decided to leave. My dad took on the responsibility of raising me and my 18 month old sister alone. My entire family always tells me “Your father is such a good man for taking on what he did” and I am now old enough to understand that and I strongly agree. When I was 5 my dad was featured on FOX news for being a single parent and he explained to the reporter all the little things he did for me and my sister and how hard it was to try and do our hair and paint our nails. I always had bad haircuts when I was little because my dad was too stubborn to take us to go get our hair cut by a professional. As big of little brats my younger sister and me were, my dad knew exactly how to handle us, despite all the frustration.
My dad made me who I are and gave me the values that I possess today, 17 years later. My dad has a heart of gold and cares for everyone. He would bend over backwards to help anyone he could. My dad and I have the same exact personality and I’m so proud of that because I look up to him every single day. Things get really hard sometimes but I would never want anything different with my family. It’s been all this time and I still have never heard my dad complain. A hero doesn’t have to have super powers or wear a black cape and fight evil; a hero could be any ordinary person. My dad never fails to inspire me to be as caring and helpful to people as I can, and to never give up.
My dad always tells me “Things are going to get hard, it’s life. But you’ll be stronger once you get through those hard times,” and I live by that quote every day. All the tough time he has been through have built his character and I only hope for the same. I always hear my dad saying he’d give anything to give his family a better life, and even though I am perfectly happy with my life and wouldn’t change a thing, that is why he’s my hero.