Teenagers in love: Only time can tell

gayatrigkrishnan
I never thought that it could happen to me, not in my wildest dreams. Not now, at least. But, it did. It was just a small, innocuous question, “Are you okay, dear?”

It was probably because of the care and concern reflected in his voice, but I fell head over heels, swirling beautifully, colourfully into love.

He was one of my very good friends, but I had never thought of him as anything but a friend, till now.

Now, I listened to a number of cheesy, romantic Bollywood songs, all of which brought him to my mind, and put a goofy smile on my face. It is not like I am totally lost, because I still scorn those who declare that they found their soulmate at the age of thirteen or even less. Age does not matter for true love, but rarely do you find true love in your teens.

I did not tell anyone, including him, about my feelings for him. Not even that one day, when we were walking around the neighbourhood park and he turned all emotional on me. He declared his undying love for me and asked me to be his girlfriend. Yet, I refused, although I felt that my heart might burst. They say that love is blind, but I chose to be practical.

I belong to a slightly conservative family from India. It is not that they are opposed to love or anything, but they believe that everything has a time. Love, dating and marriage was supposed to come only after college and getting a good job. My family will never accept me having a boyfriend while I was still in school, how much ever likeable the said boyfriend might be.

And my crush was rather likeable from my parents’ point of view as well. He was the epitome of politeness, was kind and friendly, had a great sense of humour and most of all, was extremely intelligent and a South Indian too. The last two traits being particularly valuable in a South Indian family like mine.

In fact, my parents adore him, but only as my friend, not boyfriend. I did not need more problems, and that was why I made my decision, even if I felt like crying.

My heart told me that I loved him, but my brain told me that the time wasn’t right. If it was true love, he might wait for me and vice-versa. But, if it wasn’t meant to be, we might move on and remain friends. Only time can tell.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your April Teenagers In Love essay being chosen as 1 of the essays in the running for 1st place in this month’s writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment; we selected your essay as a finalist out of 100s that were submitted this month.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by May 20th. You can check this page for the results after May 20th:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:41:38 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your April Teenager in Love essay being selected as our first place teen winner.

We will be contacting you via your registration email to give you details about your prizes.

Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:33:51 PM