MY HERO IS ZARGHOONA

najila.ali
She sacrificed her happiness, the feeling of having her mother, brothers, sisters, friends besides her and the memories of her childhood. She left the place she called home and everything that she owned. She left Afghanistan to come to America, a place that was unknown and strange to her, to make a better life for her kids. She is the person that gave birth to five kids including me. She is my mother and she is my hero. She saved the lives of her five kids. She is strong and never gave up on anything no matter how unattainable it seemed.

I will never forget the day that we came to America February 27.2002 not knowing a word of English and a thing about the place we were about to live in. My mother Zarghoona did not want her kids to be illiterate like her, she did not want her kids to be on the streets or working all day just to have a plate of food for the day and she did not want her kids to be starved to death. She wanted to work and provide for her kids but could not because in Afghanistan at that time women did not have rights. She wanted a bright future for her kid that’s why she decided to face the challenge and go through interviews to get a visa for us.

She have faced countless challenges and survived. She started working in a packaging company until 2 am or 3 so she could provide the rent for our little apartment and clothes for us. Having five kids and working minimum wage not knowing any English is unimaginable but she did not give up and kept going because she believed that one day everything would be ok. My brothers have gave up on her many times and left her alone to face tough situations like paying $1,600 a month for the mortgage with her part-time job and my dad being unemployed. But even after all this she helps them with everything; they have made her cry countless days and nights but she always stands by their side whenever they are facing hard times. She never gave up on any of us.

Today the reason I have my two jobs is because of her, the reason I have my freedom and the opportunity to graduate high school and become a doctor. Everything I do in my daily life and every step I take is inspired by her. She motivates me to become something to have a successful life. She showed her children to be strong and never give up to always have faith and reach for the stars. She is a survivor. She is my definition of a hero.