My Hero is Veronica Noble

Brittcheeks93
The salty, slender tears ran down my cheeks as I slumped in my godmother’s arms. My body felt lifeless. My knees had locked and my legs had given out on me. Suddenly a random thought crawled into my aching brain. Earlier that week my teacher had asked what we thought a hero was and at the time I had no idea, but now I had the answer. A hero is someone who exemplifies unimaginable strength and persistent strength.
I remember when my mom first saw the pink flesh-like knot on her breast. I had no idea what it was so I looked at her, but she had a blank expression on her face. A couple months went by and my mom finally went to the doctor where she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. At the time all I had known about the cancer was that it was deadly. Not considering how my mom was feeling, the tears raced from my eyes almost as if they were trying to see who could reach my lips first. The doctor was honest and told my mom that the cancer had began to spread, but through it all she maintained her composure. My mom looked at me with a light-hearted smile on her face and said, “Mommy is okay, why are you crying?” I was confused, why would she tell me everything was okay when she was clearly dying according to her doctor? As I look back I now realize that my mother was conveying a character of bravery.
More time had gone by and chemotherapy, medication, and the removal of one of my mother’s breast were not helping her condition at all. It got to the point where her doctor told her that she would not have more than three months to live. A year later and my mother continued to hold on to fighting for her life, because she knew my sister and I her. As holidays passed in 2003 I thanked God to see my mom still breathing. Thanksgiving passed, New Years passed, and even my birthday passed and the Lord had let my mom see another day! On January 18th, 2004, two days after my birthday, my mom passed from a corrupting tumor due to Breast Cancer. She fought this battle for almost two years and never thought twice about giving up. This is the strength that she withheld and that I admire and obtain to this day.
Someone could ask me right now what a hero was and I would continuously say anyone who exemplifies unimaginable strength and persistent bravery. They would later go on to ask who I consider a hero and I would probably respond saying my mother Veronica Noble!