STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is Veronica Noble

Brittcheeks93
The salty, slender tears ran down my cheeks as I slumped in my godmother’s arms. My body felt lifeless. My knees had locked and my legs had given out on me. Suddenly a random thought crawled into my aching brain. Earlier that week my teacher had asked what we thought a hero was and at the time I had no idea, but now I had the answer. A hero is someone who exemplifies unimaginable strength and persistent strength.
I remember when my mom first saw the pink flesh-like knot on her breast. I had no idea what it was so I looked at her, but she had a blank expression on her face. A couple months went by and my mom finally went to the doctor where she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. At the time all I had known about the cancer was that it was deadly. Not considering how my mom was feeling, the tears raced from my eyes almost as if they were trying to see who could reach my lips first. The doctor was honest and told my mom that the cancer had began to spread, but through it all she maintained her composure. My mom looked at me with a light-hearted smile on her face and said, “Mommy is okay, why are you crying?” I was confused, why would she tell me everything was okay when she was clearly dying according to her doctor? As I look back I now realize that my mother was conveying a character of bravery.
More time had gone by and chemotherapy, medication, and the removal of one of my mother’s breast were not helping her condition at all. It got to the point where her doctor told her that she would not have more than three months to live. A year later and my mother continued to hold on to fighting for her life, because she knew my sister and I her. As holidays passed in 2003 I thanked God to see my mom still breathing. Thanksgiving passed, New Years passed, and even my birthday passed and the Lord had let my mom see another day! On January 18th, 2004, two days after my birthday, my mom passed from a corrupting tumor due to Breast Cancer. She fought this battle for almost two years and never thought twice about giving up. This is the strength that she withheld and that I admire and obtain to this day.
Someone could ask me right now what a hero was and I would continuously say anyone who exemplifies unimaginable strength and persistent bravery. They would later go on to ask who I consider a hero and I would probably respond saying my mother Veronica Noble!
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy