My Hero is PFC Andrew Harper

jyoung1014
Facing the fear of the unknown and danger every day from the time he wakes up to the time he goes to sleep at night. The emptiness you feel in the pit of your stomach as you watch your loved one walk away for the last time for many months. These feelings are all too familiar for those family members, friends, and significant others of soldiers. In the United States Army, PFC Andrew Harper displays immense amounts of selflessness and determination.
Leaving everything they’ve ever known or loved behind, the soldiers fighting in Afghanistan are utterly selfless. PFC Andrew Harper enlisted in the Army straight out of high school because he wanted to defend his country and make something of his life. The selflessness he has is so much that I can only dream of having it one day. PFC Harper left his family and friends behind in the United States to go defend them in the War on Terror. While he is secretly afraid of not know what will happen on any given day, he never lets anyone see that side of him. He is selfless enough that he portrays himself as the tough man while behind closed doors he is panicking. PFC Andrew Harper is one of the most selfless people I know and he inspires me to put others before myself in order to feel better about myself.
Determined to gain a college education, PFC Harper is working twice as hard during his deployment. He goes out in the field everyday and then goes back to his FOB and works on school work. His determination has inspired me to always do my best because everything could change in the blink of an eye. While talking to him, he explained that he never thought he would be the person to join the services but he did and is very proud to stand up for the nation. He is determined to be all he can make of himself and he pushes me every day to always strive to do better than I expect of myself.
Less than a year after graduation, PFC Andrew Harper received his deployment orders for Afghanistan. He was scared and unsure of what would happen once he reached his destination in the Middle East. His selflessness allows him to stay strong while he is away from his family and friends for such a long period of time. As I grow up and mature, I can only dream and hope that I develop the same level of selflessness and determination displayed by PFC Andrew Harper.