STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My hero is my girlfriend Alexis Kelly

Chew.Ryan1
The word hero can be defined in numerous ways. A hero can be someone who flies around in a cape with superhuman strength and the ability to see through walls or a hero is someone that perserveres through a hardship and gives you a completley different outlook on the way you live your life. My personal hero is my girlfriend Alexis Kelly because of her strenth and her inability to give up on her life.
I became friends with Alexis at the beginning of our Junior year, I was unsure of what the future could bring for us. Whether we would always just be friends or if we could ever be more. I knew she was an extraordinary person when we first met, she could light up a room with her smile and she was always so goofy. But. these experiences were short lived as she soon fell into a spiraling depression known as Major Depressive Disorder. She was no longer the bubbly goofy girl I knew but I vowed to myself that no matter what I was not going to give up trying to make her happy. I stood by her side daily and just listened. She constantly depicted her traits of strength by showing me that no matter how bad she got, she was not going to give up. She had days where she was happy and smiling and then the next day she was down upon herself and wanted the whole world to end. Valentines Day she entered a Mental Hospital for a week not knowing what to expect, the next week I saw her she was even worse. Yet, she still continued fighting for her sanity. Through her valient fighting she has showed me that even though things can get very bad, you can never give up.
Even as the bad times seemed to increase all the time a heroic trait began to emerge. Her inability to give up on life began to shine down on my perspective of the way life should be lived. I personally thought life was always going to be easy and happy with no problems but that is not reality. Life has it's ups and downs and you must take the good with the bad. I know that she will continue to heal mentally and she will never give up because she has a stronger will to live then to give up and die. She has taught me that life is full of surprises, whether they be good or bad. You have to take one day at the time and live life to the fullest.
To me her inability to give up on herself is more important then superhuman strength or the ability to fly. Even though she has her bad days my love for her grows because I know that we have to take one day at a time. Although my hero does not exemplify throwing fire out of her hands, she does incorporate the qualities that I value. Through her hardships and perservering we have now become inseperable in everyway imaginable.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy