The True Hero

kaylaastevenson
Some people consider a hero to be someone that changed the world, or maybe someone who caused mass advancements in technology or the medical field. My hero might not be of importance to people world-wide, but she means more to me than the winner of any Nobel peace prize. Most people call her Kat, but I often call her mommy. Throughout my life she has provided me unconditional support and taught me the things that no one can teach you besides your mother.
For as long as I can remember, my mom has always put my needs in front of her own. Our family belongs in the unoriginal category of a single-mother raising two children without the help of the man I called my father. But everything was okay as long as we were still with her. When she started out as a new business owner and barely had any money to her name, she made sure I had food on the table to eat, even if that meant her going hungry. Her motivation in life was to give me a better life than she had. She was there on my first day of school, my first softball game, gymnastics meet, swim meet, National Honor Society induction, and the countless other things she inspired me to be my best at.
All of this comes second to the lessons my mom has taught me in my 17 years. No matter what happens, I can always keep these life lessons in mind in everything I do. Perhaps one of the most important lessons my mom has taught me is this: if you want to know who you can count on, look in the mirror. This has led me to prepare myself for life’s obstacles by providing myself with the best opportunities in the future. While most girls are walking around trying to find a doctor to marry, I’m working for the chance to be a doctor myself if I so choose by doing good in school and working hard.
In the end, I wouldn’t be the same person if I didn’t have my mom by my side keeping me on track and emphasizing the importance of being the best at everything I can do. She is the definition of a true hero.