STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is my Mom

yualroda
Many children experience the fortune of being raised by both of their parents and grow up in a regular family. However, many other kids are not as lucky and are only raised by their dad, or only by their mom, or in some cases by neither one of them. Some people might think of this type of family as a disadvantage because they can only imagine how difficult it must be to develop in a home where there is not a father or a mother figure. In my case, my mother was the one who raised me. Thanks to her I am the person that I am today and that is why my mom is my hero.
There is nothing as strong as the love of a mother towards her child. Many people might not remember events that happen when they were only two years old, for me 1994 was a radical year. I always pictured my dad as a role model, a wise man who worked really hard for his family and who I looked up to for sustaining a home. However, this picture changed when my mom found out that my dad was cheating on her. Having to face all these circumstances at such a young age could have been traumatizing for my development, but my mom made it easy for me to understand that my dad was no longer with us but he was still part of my family and most importantly my dad. Even though it was not easy for her to continue a life without a husband, she remembered she had a child to fight for, and she had to be strong for him. As of my dad, he left to start a new life with a woman who was now pregnant and left me and my mom by ourselves.
Sacrifices always have to be made in order to satisfy the needs of those who you love. Since now it was only my mom and I, she had to look for a second job. Colombia and the United States are two very different countries. In Colombia school is not a right but a privilege, and to go to a regular school you have to pay monthly a certain amount of money. In the United States public school is payed by the government. Throughout my whole life my mom struggled to pay any school or house bills that had to be payed, but she always would do it and there would always be bread on the table and milk on the refrigerator.
Lucia Daza is my hero; not only for raising me that way but also for giving away her happiness and her world so I could have a successful future. In 2007 I received a call from my dad in the United States saying that there was an opportunity for me to travel and live with him and his family where I could get a better education later on. And even though I told my mom that I would not leave her by herself, she told me that I would never receive an opportunity to travel to America again and made me go in this unimaginable journey where success awaits for me. That is why my mom is my hero.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy