STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is Tong Ye Yi

kdoherty
Using skin weathered by time, eyes clouded by suffering, and a heart filled with broken joys, one woman pushed down the rugged road known as life. She is bold with her words but kind with her intentions. My grandmother is the true definition of a survivor and a hero who lived through one of the toughest, misunderstood eras of history, the Korean War.
In a world where a woman’s voice could not be heard, even if she was screaming, few women sought out the opportunity to be heard. The year was 1949 and South Korea was beginning to see the pure horrors of being controlled by the North. My grandmother lived to tell the story of a life wrecked with havoc and the opportunity that was presented to her to help make a difference and ultimately win the war. In the beginning years of the Korean War police officers were euthanized by North Koreans as an attempt to leave citizens without protection. My grandmother’s husband was a member of the police force and went into hiding after hearing the events that could lead to his death.
My grandmother, Tong Ye Yi had just given birth to her first and only daughter at the time. She lived with her parents, two brothers, three sisters and her newborn baby in Jeollabuk-do, where North Koreans attacked them and both her father and brothers were abducted. During the ran-sack, her mother, sisters, and herself were brutally beaten by the assailants as an incentive to tell them where her husband and the other officers were hiding. The following morning after the assailment, her father was brutally tortured and left in a blanket and thrown on their front yard, after he had passed away. Her brothers were also euthanized along with other groups of young men their age in a pit off of the countryside. Consumed with grief, my grandmother, her newborn, her mother, and sisters left Jeollabuk-do and walked through the stiffening cold weather to escape a similar fate. The walk was so torturous that they felt as if they would never make it to a better, peaceful time. Unfortunately the walk was too much for the baby to bear and she passed away within days of the walk to salvation.
After leaving their hometown, the group of women was forced to fend for themselves for several months, wincing at any sign of danger that could be brought to them by the North Koreans. When they heard the news of the North Koreans passing through their town and the arrival of the American saviors, my grandmother set to walk back to their town to find her husband and spread the news. After the war ended, my grandfather become a severe alcoholic and beat my grandmother and left her to raise her four children while he started a new family of his own. Despite the hardships she continued to be strong. Through all the horror and pain, she never gave up and raised her children to be extraordinary.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy