My Hero is Sidney Lamar Haggard

jhyde23
You get stopped at the checkpoint only to flash your pass and get quickly shuffled through and escorted directly to the commander’s office. You have just entered a military installation and are already greeted as if you were a lieutenant general, a pay grade of O-9 albeit the fact that you are a civilian. This was my grandfather, Sidney Lamar Haggard. Many faces have passed my way throughout my small, seventeen-year existence, but none have inspired me in such a way that my grandfather has including how he has persuaded me to go to the Naval Academy and get a good idea of who I want to be in the future as well as how he has set himself up to have a great career through hard work and dedication.
“What you do with your life depends on you.” At least three or four times every summer, I hear those words of wisdom coming from his mouth to my ear as I sit in the big, comfortable computer chair in his upstairs working vigorously on an application for a college I was supposed to start the day before. Granddad was always one to look over my shoulder and make sure I was doing the right thing and avoiding simple mistakes. So in order to please him I would have to finish. Unlike what one may think though, he was not a slave driver; he simply wanted what was best for my future and me. His youngest child graduated from the Air Force Academy so it is obvious that he cares about his children’s education. Ever since he told me about the benefits of the academies, I have looked to apply to all of them in hope for an appointment to at least one of them. Had my grandfather not been there coaching me along, I would not be on my way to success, nor would I even know what success is.
Many men and women have accomplished amazing feats in their lifetime including winning Nobel prizes and getting world records. My grandfather may not have achieved the incredible, but compared with many people, he truly was an inspiring man. Born in small-town Georgia, he got his work ethic from his father. As a young man he served the United States Air Force for four years. Taking those leadership skills, he got involved in the United States Department of Agriculture where he got to a very high ranking position, all without a college degree. Doing similar tasks at the present time is nearly impossible, which shows how inspiring he truly was.
Many teenagers I am associated with today, including my own peers, do not have a full scope of what career field they might choose. That is not necessarily bad but I do believe that having such an awe-inspiring idol puts me ahead of the pack when it comes to the future work force. All I must say is, “Thank you Granddad! The example you have set for me is priceless.”
Comment by dr_brandon03

Hi Josh! :D
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 11:31:58 AM