STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is Ellie Dodge

dr_brandon03
Heroes are not limited to the big screen or television, nor are they limited to comic books or video-games. They don’t always have superpowers, superior physical attributes, the intellect of Einstein, or the morals of a Good Samaritan. There are no specific criteria to be met, no epic quests, or initiations to become a hero. Heroes are who we define them to be; anyone is capable of becoming larger than life. From your local pastor, to your parents, to your 8th grade history teacher, heroes are found anywhere and come from all walks of life. Coincidentally, I found my hero in a sophomore science class. Her name is Ellie Dodge, and she continues to shape who I am to this day by being one of the best people I can confide in, and by indirectly helping me understand and learn who I am.
People don’t plan out who their heroes are, just as I didn’t plan out how Ellie would fit into my life. Being extremely introverted and having no self-confidence whatsoever, I was terrible at making new friends on my own. Ellie and I were introduced through a mutual friend of ours, although we were already familiar with each other from being in the same freshman English class. Despite some initial feelings of awkward unfamiliarity, humor proved to be the catalyst of the start of the friendship. We began to talk more and more, and relate to each other; our conversations began to become more personal.
Immediately, our timid, basic friendship grew and developed into a complex codependency. Soon we relied on each other for support constantly, as obstacles kept coming towards us over the course of the school year. As a result, I determined that Ellie was the kind of friend that I had been looking for all along, one that I could just spill all of my thoughts to and get a meaningful response. No matter what kind of problem I presented her with, she crafted a response to the best of her abilities.
From these responses, I was able to see her for who she was. Ellie is a normal teenager, just like me. We both face typical teenage problems regarding dating, academics, and parents. We’re both still growing, and still learning about the intricacies of life. Being her friend this whole time has allowed me to reevaluate myself. Since meeting Ellie, my confidence has grown and I’m finding it easier to relate to people and aiding them as well. She has taught me that even I am capable of making a change in someone’s life. Although we aren’t as close as we were before, I always think about the lessons I learned from her over the years and keep an open mind on who enters my life now. The most important thing Ellie has taught me though is that heroes are who we define them to be, but in essence, these heroes are the ones who define us.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy