My Hero is Ellie Dodge

dr_brandon03
Heroes are not limited to the big screen or television, nor are they limited to comic books or video-games. They don’t always have superpowers, superior physical attributes, the intellect of Einstein, or the morals of a Good Samaritan. There are no specific criteria to be met, no epic quests, or initiations to become a hero. Heroes are who we define them to be; anyone is capable of becoming larger than life. From your local pastor, to your parents, to your 8th grade history teacher, heroes are found anywhere and come from all walks of life. Coincidentally, I found my hero in a sophomore science class. Her name is Ellie Dodge, and she continues to shape who I am to this day by being one of the best people I can confide in, and by indirectly helping me understand and learn who I am.
People don’t plan out who their heroes are, just as I didn’t plan out how Ellie would fit into my life. Being extremely introverted and having no self-confidence whatsoever, I was terrible at making new friends on my own. Ellie and I were introduced through a mutual friend of ours, although we were already familiar with each other from being in the same freshman English class. Despite some initial feelings of awkward unfamiliarity, humor proved to be the catalyst of the start of the friendship. We began to talk more and more, and relate to each other; our conversations began to become more personal.
Immediately, our timid, basic friendship grew and developed into a complex codependency. Soon we relied on each other for support constantly, as obstacles kept coming towards us over the course of the school year. As a result, I determined that Ellie was the kind of friend that I had been looking for all along, one that I could just spill all of my thoughts to and get a meaningful response. No matter what kind of problem I presented her with, she crafted a response to the best of her abilities.
From these responses, I was able to see her for who she was. Ellie is a normal teenager, just like me. We both face typical teenage problems regarding dating, academics, and parents. We’re both still growing, and still learning about the intricacies of life. Being her friend this whole time has allowed me to reevaluate myself. Since meeting Ellie, my confidence has grown and I’m finding it easier to relate to people and aiding them as well. She has taught me that even I am capable of making a change in someone’s life. Although we aren’t as close as we were before, I always think about the lessons I learned from her over the years and keep an open mind on who enters my life now. The most important thing Ellie has taught me though is that heroes are who we define them to be, but in essence, these heroes are the ones who define us.