The Olympic Spirit: Hope for Humanity

julia1997
Triumph over struggles surrounds almost every aspect of the Olympic Games. This triumph can be seen in the the individual athletes themselves, the countries they come from, and the world we all live in. None of these things started out perfect: Athletes had to give their all in training, countries had to overcome their own internal struggles, and the world had to come together more peacefully for the Olympics. With time, however, these Games truly give everyone hope for the human race. The epic story of Jesse Owens manifests all three of these ideas.

Born in the early 1900's, Jesse Owens lived in the era of segregation in the United States. Although he was an outstanding athlete, people still discriminated against him greatly. Jesse had to overcome his own person struggles and have enough faith in himself to keep going. Also, during the Olympics Owens competed in, Germany was going through a dark time in their own history. Hitler was beginning to show his intentions to make Germany a nation of a "perfect" race. This country and it's government have had to overcome their own struggles and corruption in order to compete in the Games and truly be successful in the world. Finally, since those Games in 1942, when segregation was still dominant in the world, the human race has come to realize that qualities such as race and gender do not matter. Instead, it's the spirit of the Games and how it unites the world by accepting everyone.

When all of these things- successful athletes, countries, and a united world- are added up and put into one area, it truly shows what the human race is capable of. Yes, those athletes show what the body is capable physically, but the lessons do not end there. Even in times of threat and unrest, the Olympic Games show how people from many countries and many backgrounds can unite as one to support each other. The Olympic games and all their triumph truly give humans hope for themselves.