STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Olympic Spirit: The Power of Perseverance

toucan
I am a runner. I train for four to five mile races in the park a block away from where I live every chance I get. Every four years of my life since I was young, I have spent countless hours in front of the television, with my legs criss-crossed and my mouth hanging wide open, watching the Olympic games. I always took pleasure and pride whenever a runner finished, and screamed in frustration whenever an athletic did not achieve their goal.

When I started freshman year in high school, I joined my school's cross country team. I wanted to beat my personal record on the two and a half mile course I most despised. I was inspired to look at videos of Olympian runners to see their techniques and form. While I was going through several YouTube videos, one in particular caught my eye. I still remember watching “Derek Redmond's Incredible Olympic Story”. In a 400 meter race around the track in the Barcelona 1992 Olympic Games, a British athlete, Derek Redmond, snapped his hamstring mid-race. Instead of stopping and giving up, he clenched his teeth, and limped to the finish. Before that moment, I naively thought the Olympics were mostly about winning medals. After, I realized that the Olympics are about perseverance and pursuing your dreams.

A month later, I was at the first race of the autumn season. I remember the leaves had not yet changed into their warm autumn hues. It was pleasantly balmy. I was extremely nervous to prove that I could beat my record. I knew even at the starting line that I should have stretched more, drunk more water and eaten more before the race started. When I hit the rolling hills with their dusty and lonely paths that looped around the trees on the course, I felt quite content. I was at a good pace, and had a lot of energy left. When I emerged from the top of the last hill with the finish line in sight I began to run faster. I was so excited and spent so much attention on accelerating that I did not pay attention to my footwork. I felt a stabbing jolt of pain as I rolled my ankle on a rock on the final stretch. I started to slow down. The pain was hard to ignore. I cannot remember seeing the finish line. My tears were pouring too heavily from my eyes. But nonetheless, I replayed the video of Derek Redmond, limping to the Olympic finish line, over and over in my mind while I pushed myself to the end. Later, I found out that I had torn many, many ligaments.

Although I did not accomplish what I wanted to that day, I have since recovered and am training once more. Soon I will have a race again. It may not be the race where I will finally achieve a better time, but I know that I will keep trying, just like Derek Redmond.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Olympic Spirit essay being chosen as 1 of the essays in the running for 1st place in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment, so please feel free to share your “runner up” status with the world.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field. If you are selected as the winner of this month’s competition, we will contact you directly via the email you used for registration. We will be contacting the winner by Friday, March 14th.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time”

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:11:59 PM
Rate this:
Comment by toucan

thank you!
Posted: Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:16:12 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy