The Olympic Spirit: Achieving a Life Long Dream

Armando
The Olympic Spirit, many have dreams of attending, let alone competing, in the Olympics. Even to experience it in any way makes this dream come true. It takes years of honing ones skills and talents until perfection and even then that might not be enough. This is a reason why Olympic athletes are held in such high standards. The Olympic spirit lives in me through my dreams and aspirations of playing rugby for my country in the Olympics. This was partially fulfilled in the summer of 2013. The first time I watched the Olympics and truly understood what it meant to be an Olympic athlete was the Beijing Olympics. I vividly remember watching Usain Bolt beating everyone in the 100 and 200 meter dash. My older cousin, whom I look up to, ran track so he was the one who pointed Bolt out during the races. That is the first emersion into taking athletics that much more seriously to me. I was amazed at how much esteem my cousin held up Bolt as. This motivated me to become the best athlete I can be. I have taken this inspiration to my career in rugby. I am not the biggest or fastest player, but I do put all I have on the field and at practice. I played 15’s rugby for my high school on JV during the winter. In the summer I played 7’s for the Aztecs, one of the biggest rugby clubs in Southern California. I played for the U16’s sevens team. We beat teams that were bigger and faster than us because of how much we focused on the minute details of the game. At practice we hammered the basics of securing a “ruck”, passing and catching the ball, and recycling the ball. For hours this is all we did in order to master the fundamentals. For this reason we won enough tournaments to be entered in the Southern California State Games. We played many high caliber teams at this tournament from all over southern California. Playing out on the wing throughout the tournament, I made a few tackles and long runs. The moment I realized that my dream was coming true was before the championship game, stretching with my teammates and realized that it was special because of them. We trusted in each other to do what needed to be done in order to win the game. This bond was one of the main reasons we won the championship and took gold, and won many more tournaments. My dream became the most fulfilled not during the championship games but while we stood in front of the banner with the current coach of the USA Eagles, Matt Hawkins. I was lost in the moment with such joy that I almost forgot to smile. This just goes to show dreams do come true with hours of dedication and hard work.