The Olympic Spirit: Unity

missannat08
The Olympic Spirit is a global spirit. It’s the emotions shared by every athlete, the feelings experienced by the viewers, and the sense of togetherness that is felt by anyone who has ever been affected by the Olympic Games. The Olympics do not belong to a single person or country. The purpose of the Games is to bring together nations across the planet regardless of past history and current differences. The best representatives from certain nations are brought together to participate in various events in order to achieve glory for themselves and for their country. However, the medals are only a bonus. The real prize is when the athletes give 100% to their sport, compete against world-class professionals, and do everything they can to make their country proud. Whether they win 1st place or 4th place, the results are inconsequential when compared to the effects of the athletes’ efforts. Olympians have the ability to move nations and inspire generations, and the culmination of all these actions and emotions embody the Olympic Spirit.

I loved watching the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics because I enjoyed seeing every athlete display their years of practice and determination on the planet’s biggest stage. Undoubtedly, there is enormous pressure on each individual, but they are able to perform under the brightest spotlight like true champions. Even in their personal lives, the athletes’ actions off the field make just as big of an impact on their fans and audience as what they do while competing.When you hear of countries lending each other their equipment or participating in impromptu street hockey games, the feelings that are evoked are incomparable to those when a medal is won. When you hear of Olympians meeting their heroes and becoming starstruck, it reminds you that they are regular people, too, and the gap between the seemingly enormous stars and the viewers becomes smaller. Olympians are amazing because they began as normal people just like us. Hearing their incredible stories and watching them perform gives rise to an indescribable emotion that I like to believe is the Olympic Spirit.

Whenever an American athlete won a medal, I felt ecstatic and proud. However, there will always be disappointments and unfortunate circumstances, but the resulting feelings also contribute to the Olympic Spirit. Misery loves company, and this can’t be more true when an expectant victor walks away with nothing. Despite this loss, a country mourns together and becomes closer while hoping for a better outcome in the next event. Again, it is not the result that matters, but the effect it impresses on the viewers. The Olympic Spirit is not due to whether an athlete is victorious or defeated, but rather, it is the sum of the emotions experienced by every individual that the Games impacts. It’s important to remember that even though the 2014 Winter Olympics are over, the excitement, anticipation, and joy shared by the athletes and audience will always remain and that the Olympic Spirit will continue to exist.