The Olympic Spirit: Our Wholehearted Attempt for the Greater Games

ECEdwards27
Every two years either the Summer or Winter Olympic Games are held in a predetermined country. Every two years it seems that the Olympics focus more on production and outdoing one another than the real spirit of the games. Which, in my opinion, is celebrating a multitude of cultures and ethnicities coming together to showcase the hard work and determination of each country’s athletes. That would be the ideal definition of “The Olympic Spirit”, but of course we live in far from an ideal world. Therefore, as proved by this year’s Games held in Sochi, the achieved spirit of the Olympics is purely competition. With every passing year of the Olympics, more and more time and money is spent on the flamboyant, over-the-top Opening Ceremonies. Much like this year’s final Olympic ring that failed to blossom from its initial snowflake form, the Opening Ceremonies as a whole seem to fizzle rather than sizzle each year. The concept of numerous countries coming together to compete against each other is not a special one entitled to the Olympics. There are many other sports competitions in which athletes from all over the world compete. However, with the Olympics that same rivalry is exaggerated and focused mostly on the frivolousness and flaunter of each country. That being said, the true, ideal Olympic Spirit is shown at the one moment in the Opening Ceremonies when all of the athletes come out for the first time together. It is then that everyone truly sees the determination ingrained in every athlete. It is a quality that every competitor, no matter what country, must possess in order to get where they are today. The real Olympic Spirit is celebrating hard work, passion, and resolve. When we put aside all the glamorous ceremonies and simply appreciate what we can achieve when we come together and work hard is when we really see the true spirit of the Olympic Games.