STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Olympic Spirit: A Gold in Passion

KristenH16
I have no Olympic aspirations. Never have.
To be honest, it’s probably because I am so fully aware of how much work goes into these careers; up before 5 and down when your body is long past expired seems like a battle every day, and that’s not a war I want to fight.
I have no Olympic aspirations. I don’t foresee a future in which I can dedicate every atom of my existence to a single goal.
I don’t think that matters.
Why is it that I watch hours of figure skating, or hold my breath for downhill skiing, when I don’t even understand the intricacies of the event? Why do I find myself cheering for the underdog – the oldest competitor, the hero who clawed their way back from career-ending injuries – regardless of country?
The way I see it, the Olympics are a competition in passion. Everyone starts out with some degree of raw talent, sure, but the medalists are not the kind of athletes to roll out of bed at 11 and decide that they’re good enough, no practice necessary. The victors are the ones who continuously push their bodies to the breaking point, to dangerous extremes, because they are wholeheartedly devoted to the furthering of their skills and successes.
It’s humbling to watch.
It’s motivating.
I know myself well enough to recognize that the Olympics are not in the cards for me. The thing is, though, the Olympics are sort of like a metaphor – and I think I can do that.
There are things that I am truly passionate about, that I would work my wrist into carpal tunnel to chase. It’s easy to forget this. Life picks you up and shakes you around until you don’t know which way you were headed to begin with, and sometimes, you just lose your way.
It’s strange to suggest that the Olympics are a lighthouse for me, but it’s true. These are people who drop everything to compete; who fit in practices around a job and family life; who ignore the severity of broken ribs and shattered bones, because they recognize that nothing has the right to hold you back but yourself.
I think that’s the true message of the games. Corruption and cardboard hotels aside, the Olympics are a bastion of active dreamers, a rare thing in this world. It’s always been easy to dream, but to act – that is where my troubles lie. I guess something about those five rings reminds me that I have to seek my future. Imagining it will only get me so far.
I don’t need Olympic aspirations; I’m just shooting to live that metaphor.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy