STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Olympic Spirit: So Much More Than Just Games

ggoldfeder
The eternal flame glistening in the chilly Russian wind is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in my entire life. It’s not just the aesthetic pleasure of the Olympic torch that touches me so deeply, but the great message that it sends to the world. The torch symbolizes a time when the world can come together despite bitter political conflicts. Enemies can drop their weapons, join hands, and cheer each other on during the single most important two week period of the year...that is the Olympic Games. However, most amazingly of all, is that deep within the flame that flickers bright red and orange, I can see something even brighter, hope. The Olympics work in a truly magical way and no one can watch the games without it touching them and affecting them in some way. For me, the games evoke a feeling of hope; a feeling warmer than perhaps the torch itself, a warmth that I can’t receive from anything else. When I watch the world truly united, walking hand in hand together down the road during the opening ceremonies, I can not help but feel like everything will be okay. Perhaps it’s a bit naive, but I truly do feel that the games help to promote unity. They help to remind everyone that we are all human beings who can hurt, and cry, and love.

Aside from feeling closer to the rest world than ever before, the Olympics have also worked to inspire me. Behind every athlete in the Games is a story. Watching these outstanding athletes from across the globe, both rich and poor, both young and old, of all different races and nationalities, share their stories of how they got where they are is truly heartwarming. The one similarity between every story is that it all started with a dream. When I hear some of these remarkable stories of resilience, and then witness first hand the success of the athletes, I feel as though I can achieve my own personal dreams as well. The idea that someone can have a childhood fantasy that could actually come true is extraordinary. However, it is also important to understand that success was not just given to them. The Olympic athletes are extremely diligent and work very hard to reach their goals. My mind keeps wandering back to the idea that a childhood dream really can come true with hard work. Therefore, since the Olympics have started, I have been writing more than ever before. My goal is to someday be a writer.

The Olympics are so much more than just games. It is the one way in which the entire world can truly connect in a unique way. It inspires the youth from around the world to follow their dreams. Most importantly, the symbolic flame is fueled by the emotion that keeps our world spinning, hope.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy