Olympic Spirit: So Much More Than Just Games

ggoldfeder
The eternal flame glistening in the chilly Russian wind is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in my entire life. It’s not just the aesthetic pleasure of the Olympic torch that touches me so deeply, but the great message that it sends to the world. The torch symbolizes a time when the world can come together despite bitter political conflicts. Enemies can drop their weapons, join hands, and cheer each other on during the single most important two week period of the year...that is the Olympic Games. However, most amazingly of all, is that deep within the flame that flickers bright red and orange, I can see something even brighter, hope. The Olympics work in a truly magical way and no one can watch the games without it touching them and affecting them in some way. For me, the games evoke a feeling of hope; a feeling warmer than perhaps the torch itself, a warmth that I can’t receive from anything else. When I watch the world truly united, walking hand in hand together down the road during the opening ceremonies, I can not help but feel like everything will be okay. Perhaps it’s a bit naive, but I truly do feel that the games help to promote unity. They help to remind everyone that we are all human beings who can hurt, and cry, and love.

Aside from feeling closer to the rest world than ever before, the Olympics have also worked to inspire me. Behind every athlete in the Games is a story. Watching these outstanding athletes from across the globe, both rich and poor, both young and old, of all different races and nationalities, share their stories of how they got where they are is truly heartwarming. The one similarity between every story is that it all started with a dream. When I hear some of these remarkable stories of resilience, and then witness first hand the success of the athletes, I feel as though I can achieve my own personal dreams as well. The idea that someone can have a childhood fantasy that could actually come true is extraordinary. However, it is also important to understand that success was not just given to them. The Olympic athletes are extremely diligent and work very hard to reach their goals. My mind keeps wandering back to the idea that a childhood dream really can come true with hard work. Therefore, since the Olympics have started, I have been writing more than ever before. My goal is to someday be a writer.

The Olympics are so much more than just games. It is the one way in which the entire world can truly connect in a unique way. It inspires the youth from around the world to follow their dreams. Most importantly, the symbolic flame is fueled by the emotion that keeps our world spinning, hope.