The Olympic Spirit: Worldwide Opportunity

hlehrke45
Every four years, all the nations come together and compete against each other. The goal for many may be to get a podium finish. However, for others with a slim chance to represent their country, it is to make the team and to be able to travel.
When I watched the Winter Olympics, I couldn’t imagine the pressure one goes through with their preparation. They prepare for four years just to compete with other people from their country. Then, if they do make their nations team, they have to go compete with many more countries. For some, it is only a small amount of time to express their true abilities in their sport.
The amazing attribute I noticed with many athletes is that they do not give up. Some have been to the Olympics for the past three times and have come up short of a podium finish or getting gold. For example, I came across an athlete called Lindsey Jacobellis. She has come up short for the past three Winter Olympics. She only obtained a silver medal in her 2006 run in the Olympics. She has fallen just shy of another medal in these past two Olympics and the next year in the X Games. However she has loss many times, she still drives herself to compete and has the desire to win.
I am in awe of what these athletes go through and how much effort they must fully give. Everyone drives themselves to represent their country and has so much pride in doing so. I look up to these athletes and hope that I may be like them with the drive they have. One amazing sight that I will never forget is to see is someone who wins for their country and the happiness that comes to their face.