Olympic Spirit: Make it About the Sports Please

twilightrose31
To me, the Olympics are mostly associated with pride, but also a whole multitude of other emotions. Throughout the Olympics, I do nothing but either scream, cry or shout. For everything that happens, I have some sort of over dramatic reaction. It is a giant roller-coaster of feelings and thoughts, but it is probably why I love the Olympics so much. If I did not have someone to root for, or if it satisfied everyone, there would be no point in watching them.

The most emotional moment for me though, was when team Canada won the hockey gold for both Women's and Men's, as that is the sport I love more than any other. I was so worried all throughout school, since I was not able to check to see who had won, and I had a hard time concentrating all day. It turned out that the women’s team had won gold in a hockey match against America, and it was an amazing match. I was sure that Canada had lost, but they pulled it together, and by the time they won I was a happy screaming mess. The men’s gold hockey game however, was on Sunday morning. I had gotten up at 6:30, which is abnormal, just to watch it and cheer them on. I woke up my family, who were all sleeping, as they watch the Olympics but not that early in the morning. I knew from the beginning of the third quarter that they would win, but that did not stop me from cheering as loud as possible when they did, and singing the national anthem along with the rest of Canada. All in all, that is what I experience when the Olympians are competing.

However, the true point of the Olympics is to unite us all and have a bit of fun, as well as showcasing a different culture from yours. They were created with the intent to help with bonds between countries, and have the world come together as brothers and compete for honour. Unfortunately, we lose track of the original goal, and we always involve politics. I get frustrated when they spend hours talking about political problems involving Russia, or America or any other country. I watch the Olympics to cheer on the Olympians, not talk about things that should not be mentioned, as they have nothing to do with the sports or athletes. We should see the Olympics as the one time we can all come together and not have to worry about politics or conflicts in the world and get along. I don’t quite understand why we cannot all be friends, for just two weeks every two years. One day, I hope that we can all gather and enjoy the games for what they are, a time for us all to celebrate the wonderful athletes that devote themselves to training and their victories.