The Olympic Spirit: Peace and Unification

chooj
Throughout history, wars were a common result of the imperialistic ways of many nations. Wars were obviously brutally violent and caused a significant amount of lost lives and hatred among the many nations. Yet, after the International Olympic Committee was created in 1894, this all gave a much different perspective towards the idea of a more peaceful way of competing with other nations and unifying the nations and the world.
The Olympics demonstrate and bring up a nationalistic drive in many of the citizens as they constantly cheer for their favorite athletes and events. This nationalism is reminded constantly through the many different Medias of today such as the broadcasting on televisions and of the past, such as the radios in many families’ homes. This patriotic aspect unifies the people of a nation as they all cheer for their home teams. They are all mesmerized by the brilliant techniques and efforts each athlete puts in, and this admiration brings people together due to the love and respect each person gives off. The nationalistic aspect of the Olympic Games brings many together due to the unanimous patriotic cheering of each nation’s team.
The Olympic spirit gives off a very strong aura of peace due to the nonviolent behavior of each country participating. It provides a peaceful way of competition and especially affects the perspective of many. The Olympics inspire and promote peace as a way of compromise rather than the past’s many deathly wars that lead to nation’s demises and extremely bad relations. Rather than soldiers, athletes provide a nation with victory without having to kill anyone and also promote physical exercise. In the end of day, the Olympic spirit promotes peace as a different way of competing with other nations in a healthy, nonviolent way in hopes that one day, violence and destruction will not be the answer.
The Olympic spirit of unification and peace have greatly affected and given a new perspective towards the people of the world. It provides a wonderful alternative of competition between countries and also unifies individual nations as they cheer for their home’s hard work. In the end, the Olympics are a positive example of the world compromising through peaceful and unifying means.