The Olympic Spirit: International Unity

michellel97
As the five rings emerge and the familiar Olympic tune sounds, millions around the world witness the worlds’ best athletes compete for ultimate glory. While the dedication and strength the athletes display in the Olympics is very admirable and inspiring, these games send a more important message- international unity, a beautiful and powerful aim.
I am an avid viewer of the Olympics, and watching this competition not only left me impressed with the athletes' immense skill, but also with a heightened sense of global connectedness. In our increasingly global economy and outlook, it is surprising that the only time the world is involved in something together is once every two years at the Olympics. Beginning with the Opening Ceremony, all of the participating countries’ athletes parade out on the world stage. We viewers get to see many countries we know and love, and some that I have never heard of before. This plethora of countries and athletes display the diversity that is present in the world, and this procession of the countries and all of the different flags flying side by side symbolize the world coming together.
Unlike the Hunger Games, where contestants are supposed to dislike people from other districts, it is the opposite for the Olympics, as international unity is espoused through the athletes’ support for their competitors from different countries. Seeing people from all around the world celebrating this interconnectedness of humanity in harmony is truly amazing, and erases much of the bitter history present amongst certain countries. It is heartwarming to see different countries' athletes congratulate and support each other, and amazing to see the many similarities between athletes from different nations, all united in their love for their sport. The Olympics is a microcosm of the world, as all of the athletes live peacefully together in the Olympic Village, and still stay friendly toward each other, despite the competition. Likewise, countries can be competing against each other in different areas, such as their economy and prosperity, but still coexist in peace and support each other in times of need. The Olympics celebrates the diversity present throughout the world, and remind us that underneath the different races and faces, we are all the same, with hopes and ambitions that we can fullfill through hard work and dedication. The world in which we live in has endured countless wars, and much hate and discrimination. What has kept us from falling apart is the world coming together, in the form of allies, peace treaties, giving help to other countries, and much more. The devastations humanity has suffered stemmed from conflict, ignorance, and hate, and the cure is unity. Thus, the true Olympic Spirit is international unity, an entity that is vital for the world and humanity.