The Olympic Spirit: Inspiration

mzhang1222
"The important thing is not to win, but to take part." This quote by Pierre de Coubertin embodies the olympic spirit, inspiring, encouraging, and motivating people, even after his generation to put in effort for something one loves despite the results. As one watches the Olympics, one can only look in awe as athletes demonstrate their prowess and athleticism. Eyes bulging, fingers crossed, sitting on the edge of their seats, men, women and children from all around the world watch enthralled. One can only admire the talent and passion these athletes perform with and the dedication and hard work they put in to come so far. The Olympics represent the best of the best, demonstrating the potential man holds as an individual.

I participate in a competitive event called science olympiad. Although not athletic, it still serves as a contest where teams compete in various scientific tests. Much like the olympics, this contest brings people together, though on a more local level. Schools from all over San Diego participate and during awards,packing the gym. Through this competition, commitment and intellectual ability pay off much like in the Olympics. The competition the olympics brings pushes athletes to strive for their utmost best for the team. Similarly, in science olympiad, we are driven to put in the effort to learn the Bowen’s series or the formulas regarding electromagnetism in hopes of earning a medal, and bringing our team one step closer to the top. Despite the fact that hard work does not always equate an accolade, that there are only three medals to give out, the competitive spirit that is synonymous with the heart of olympics proves valuable because it spurs us into improvement, bringing about inspiration not only to themselves but others as well. The bickering in congress is put to the side. The center of attention falls on the grand opening ceremony, the events, the athletes rather than the latest scandal with so-and-so as thousands, millions, billions of human beings watch their country’s competitors test man’s boundaries. The Olympics brings countries together in a bloodless battle of talent out of good-spirit and a chance to show off each nation’s best, giving those who watch an image of man can become. The sweat, tears and strain all the athletes come to sacrifice for the sake of refining their art let us see how hard effort can bring us up to the podium, the center of the world’s attention, the chance for glory for one’s country.
When it all ends,instead of the winner of the male figure skating event, the usual squabbling of politics or the Hollywood rumor resurfaces on the news. It seems as if the spirit of the Olympics along with the games have ended.Though this spirit may reach its height during the Olympic games, it is not lost. The Olympic spirit demonstrates inspiration and is not lost as everyday, encouraging, exhilarating, and inspiring things happen to us all, compelling us to strive to be our best.