“The Olympic Spirit: The Flame of Humanity”

extracredit_APEL
The physical and mental capacities of man have been proven to be undefined throughout history, as evident through the tradition of the Olympics. A display of human potential, the Olympics celebrate the capacity of human beings to overcome conventional restrictions and boundaries. Therefore, I believe the Olympic spirit represents the ability of human beings to conquer the seemingly impossible.

Each Olympian is symbolic of what humanity is capable of physically and mentally, and serves as a reminder that people should not limit themselves. It is significant to realize that each athlete once started at the very beginning, and that the only way for one to reach the top is to begin climbing. As a beginning distance runner myself, I understand that one does not go from running two miles a day to running ten miles the next day. Recently working up my endurance to about four miles, I know that distance running (as well as any sport) requires hard work and extreme resolve. Taking my recent experiences into account, the Sochi games of 2014 and even the Beijing games of 2008 seem much grander and wondrous to me. These athletes are the elite of their sport, out of millions of athletes worldwide, and at one point they were in the same place as me. However, such achievement was not by coincidence or a result of any kind of miracle. These athletes are the best because they dedicated most of their lives to improving themselves at what they love. These athletes do more than just “try”, they place their entire being into their sport because such dedication requires one’s whole being. In the end, these athletes pushed through whatever was thrown their way and succeeded.

Though the status of an Olympian is among the most prestigious titles of athleticism and only a select few ever reach this status, the Olympian spirit is something that can be applied to in all aspects of life. Essentially, the true spirit of the Olympian encompasses the journey to work toward one’s dream or goal in order to achieve it. Even afterwards, the Olympian longs for further improvement and to reach higher goals, persevering and persisting through hardship and obstacles. In this way, the Olympics serve as an inspiration and motivation for people to work ceaselessly toward what they love and are passionate about. Thus, there is no limit or boundary that one cannot surpass and a “potential for greatness” truly lies within each person.