The Olympic Spirit: International Unity

Kwokwai
Fireworks exploding, crowds cheering, athletes competing and medals awarded. This is a rare scene that only happens biannually. However, every 2 years, the International community lays its eyes on one city for a few weeks as the best of the best athletes compete. To me, the Olympics are more than just wanting to see my country get Gold. To me, the Olympics are more than watching with the family. To me, the Olympics show the beauty our humanity and society has to offer. No matter what country, whether the United States, Great Britain or Barbados and Moldova, every country has the opportunity and chance to show the world what their country is made of. We as human beings are able to plan a spectacular event for the world to see. With each event at different countries and cities, we are able to see the different culture and backgrounds. In 2008, China wowed the world with the Opening Ceremony. In 2010, Vancouver showed the world what Canada is made of. In 2012, London demonstrates to the world that even after being around for hundreds of years; it can still amaze the world. And in 2014, Russia exhibit how much the country has changed after the fall of communism. Soon in 2016, the world for the first time will see the Olympics in South America and the potential elegance Brazil has to offer. As you can see, the Olympics have been in all parts of the world from Asia to South America. It has created a sense of International Unity. We can put the differences away. We can put the weapons away. Humanity has already made big leaps into creating an International Community such as the United Nations and Olympics. The Olympics offer to the world that we don’t have to flex our military muscles but instead, we can flex our athletic muscles. Already the Olympics have created an International unity with everyone throughout the world having their eyes on Russia these past few weeks. Despite heavy criticism, Russia was still able to pull off a safe and amazing Olympics. In the end, the Olympics have made humanity and society glorify. Pride and Nationalism fervor sweeps to every country participating in the Olympics showing how much the Olympics can affect each and every human being.