The Olympic Spirit: Inspiring Normal People

tsimawang
Growing up in a household similar to mine did not usually entail constant sit down dinners and strict family time. But, one event that never failed to coax each of us away from our hectic schedules was the Olympics. At a young age, I never could understand why the house had become so suddenly tense with apprehension and excitement, but little did I know that the worlds’ best were competing for a priceless title. Nowadays, I look forward to the see what the past few years has come to offer in each event and to learn the triumphant story of each athlete that takes the ‘stage’. It’s in this way that so many Olympic athletes have become inspirations in my life. The Olympics are more than just a few games between athletes – had I sought that, I would have had better luck with turning on ESPN. To me, the Olympics are an opportunity to see outstanding individuals who have dedicated their lives to pursuing a passion that once seemed impossible. With these events, I get a chance to see how ordinary people fight their way towards excellence to obtain a goal that they have set for themselves. These dedicated athletes prove the compensations of working towards a dream, whether it be a medal or the self-satisfaction of achieving a new high. For 17 days, hundreds of nervous people put all their hard work on the line, not knowing if they will be met with success or failure, all in the hope of bringing pride to their country and themselves. Such a feat is priceless and inspires me to strive for the same confidence and dedication that is evident in the Olympic spirit.