The Olympic Spirit

ladyd3000
My interpretation of “Olympic spirit” is an athlete that has trained nonstop night and day for their particular sport. Although it may not be their dream to bring home the gold medal for America, they do aspire to be considered the best in the world at what they do. What better way to prove yourself to the world than through the Olympic games? As a child I remember gathering around the television with my family to watch Apollo Ohno skate and the crazy haired Shawn White snowboard. These family memories will stay with me forever. I, myself was named after the famed Africa American gymnast, Dominique Dawes, so watching the Olympics has always been a major part of my life. A few years ago my family was ecstatic to see young Gabby Douglas bring home the gold for America in gymnastics. I participated in gymnastics as a little girl to live up to my name, but in the long run it wasn’t really for me. I have a profound respect for Gabby Douglas and others like her because there must have been plenty of times where she wanted to quit, but she stuck with it and in the end all her hard work paid off.
Now, as a junior in high school, I am proud to say I have plenty of friends that aspire and are currently training to be in the upcoming summer Olympics for track. Realistically speaking not all of them will make it, but seeing the drive on their faces and the sacrifices they have made to get closer to their dream is truly inspirational. The Olympic spirit is obviously a combination of many traits. Perseverance is important; one must be able to get knocked down countless times, but always get back up. You must always stay focused and keep your eye on the prize. High school is a notorious time for peer pressure and trouble. Someone with the Olympic spirit knows this and is a responsible student athlete who avoids trouble. Determination is another key trait. One must always be striving to win. Mediocre or second place athletes do not make to the Olympics. At the end of the day no one ever remembers the guy who got second place until all the sudden he is holding the coveted first place gold medal.
Michael Phelps in his prime had the Olympic spirit, but fame and money corrupted his focus and Ryan Lochte showed him up. Had Phelps kept his eye on the prize, he would have been unstoppable but what a lot of major athletes may lose sight of is the fact that competition will always been nipping at you heels. The man in second place cannot wait to replace, so it is crucial that you stay focused. As an athlete in a competitive sport, you’re only as great as your most recent win.
Everyone has the potential to be great at what they do if they put their mind to it. You don’t necessarily have to be an athlete to have the Olympic spirit. Having the Olympic spirit is just having the drive to succeed. Many train their entire lives toward their Olympic dream and will never make it, but that does not meet they will ever give up because although they have never participated in the Olympics, they have the drive and the heart to be successful.