STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Olympic Spirit

ladyd3000
My interpretation of “Olympic spirit” is an athlete that has trained nonstop night and day for their particular sport. Although it may not be their dream to bring home the gold medal for America, they do aspire to be considered the best in the world at what they do. What better way to prove yourself to the world than through the Olympic games? As a child I remember gathering around the television with my family to watch Apollo Ohno skate and the crazy haired Shawn White snowboard. These family memories will stay with me forever. I, myself was named after the famed Africa American gymnast, Dominique Dawes, so watching the Olympics has always been a major part of my life. A few years ago my family was ecstatic to see young Gabby Douglas bring home the gold for America in gymnastics. I participated in gymnastics as a little girl to live up to my name, but in the long run it wasn’t really for me. I have a profound respect for Gabby Douglas and others like her because there must have been plenty of times where she wanted to quit, but she stuck with it and in the end all her hard work paid off.
Now, as a junior in high school, I am proud to say I have plenty of friends that aspire and are currently training to be in the upcoming summer Olympics for track. Realistically speaking not all of them will make it, but seeing the drive on their faces and the sacrifices they have made to get closer to their dream is truly inspirational. The Olympic spirit is obviously a combination of many traits. Perseverance is important; one must be able to get knocked down countless times, but always get back up. You must always stay focused and keep your eye on the prize. High school is a notorious time for peer pressure and trouble. Someone with the Olympic spirit knows this and is a responsible student athlete who avoids trouble. Determination is another key trait. One must always be striving to win. Mediocre or second place athletes do not make to the Olympics. At the end of the day no one ever remembers the guy who got second place until all the sudden he is holding the coveted first place gold medal.
Michael Phelps in his prime had the Olympic spirit, but fame and money corrupted his focus and Ryan Lochte showed him up. Had Phelps kept his eye on the prize, he would have been unstoppable but what a lot of major athletes may lose sight of is the fact that competition will always been nipping at you heels. The man in second place cannot wait to replace, so it is crucial that you stay focused. As an athlete in a competitive sport, you’re only as great as your most recent win.
Everyone has the potential to be great at what they do if they put their mind to it. You don’t necessarily have to be an athlete to have the Olympic spirit. Having the Olympic spirit is just having the drive to succeed. Many train their entire lives toward their Olympic dream and will never make it, but that does not meet they will ever give up because although they have never participated in the Olympics, they have the drive and the heart to be successful.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy