The Olympic Spirit: The Effect on Us All

ninabean
What does it mean to be an Olympian? Does it mean a history of years of hard work and focused training? Or does it take the ability to go to great lengths in pursuit of a unique goal? Maybe it means having the confidence to stare competition straight in the face without self-doubt. It could also mean having the capability of learning from mistakes. Perhaps the answer is all of the above, as each are qualities of great athletes who embody the Olympic Spirit.
Every four years, extraordinary people from all walks of life gather to compete in the Winter Olympics to experience the result of dedication, focus, talent, and overall, the Olympic Spirit which bonds all of the competing athletes together. Without this spirit, the Olympic Games would be nothing more than one competitor trying to outdo another, with no appreciation for the work put into reaching that point. There would be no feeling of community or respect between athletes. Instead of a selfish attitude, this spirit ‘takes the blinders off’ of athletes and brings comradery to the face of the Olympics. This comes from the knowledge that everybody who is competing has put blood, sweat, and tears into being there. It’s the knowledge that every single athlete has defeated all trials and tribulations leading up to the point of representing their home country. This takes the competition to a whole new level. The Olympic Games is known worldwide as the ultimate test of one’s athletic abilities. It shows that you’ve achieved a level of excellence that most athletes never will. Participating in one such competition commands the respect from others that allows the timeless spirit of the Olympics to thrive. The Olympic spirit instills deference and sportsmanship into any competition.
The spirit is greatly infectious, as it is not limited to those directly involved in the Olympics. Because it is so easy to access the Olympic Games through television and the internet, even those at home, athletes in particular, are under the effect of the mood it creates. Often times, Olympians are role models for growing competitors and as such, they often try to set an example for others. When one sees the Olympic spirit in their role models, they will likely aspire to mimic the qualities that person possesses. Although it majorly affects athletes, those who are not involved in any sport whatsoever can still be affected. This is because the feeling of community and respect toward others can be found in any human being.
To me, the Olympic spirit is a combination of many things. Although it ultimately leads to respect for competition, embodying it requires personality traits that many athletes develop over time. These include teamwork, discipline, focus, a positive attitude, and many more. The Olympic spirit affects those near and far. It is within every athlete’s ability to acquire these traits and more.