The Olympic Spirit: A Time for Peace

leanneg
Every four years, the world is united and joined together to cheer on and motivate each other as hundreds of athletes compete to win the gold medal for their country. Families cheer on relatives participating in the glorifying games and some cheer on their opponents. The Olympics is a time for everyone to come to peace and become allies to help achieve the athletes' dreams. This year, the games have been incredibly special as you watch many American dreams coming true and see many medals being distributed. NBC provides special videos for the viewers to see the athletes getting prepared for competition and also see how well the athletes get along with other competing countries. The people they compete against in the games are their friends whom they practice with several times. However, many precautions have been taken for this years games in Sochi. As the security has increased drastically for this year, many of the athletes seem to forget about it and feel perfectly safe as long as they are surrounded by the people, whether they are from the same country or not, who are just as excited to have the privilege of participating in the Olympics. As the viewers gather to celebrate the Olympics, the amount of security and caution taken by the government is forgotten as they become engrossed in the television and the sporting events taking place. No matter the drama between the countries or any turmoil taking place, everything pauses and lightens up as the games go on and every one is on each others team. For me, it does not matter what jersey you wear or what country you are from or born in, but what does matter is cheering for everyone who was brave enough to take the first step walking in the opening ceremony. Every athlete deserves the gold medal but very few earn it. So as we all come together for this years Olympic games, let us remember the joyful spirits it has brought us and carry that joy with us through the next few years. The Olympics is what keeps this world universally at peace and keeps every one cheering for every country to win.