STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Olympic Spirit: The true spirit of the Olympics

k.p.thomas
I remember when I first saw the Winter Olympics. It was the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and my family watched Kim Yuna figure skate. I was completely mesmerized by her skating and as I watched her I could feel that she truly enjoyed what she was doing. Even though I only watched her because I was Korean, I was glued to the screen watching her glide through the ice as if she was a queen and I felt that for Yuna skating was her natural state. To me the Olympics represent many things. It represents the fact that despite our cultural, language, and ideological differences we are able to gather together and just have a fun time watching people compete. Not only that, The Olympics show our increasing globalization and the promising future. In its beginnings in the 1890’s, the early Olympics had primarily only European countries participating but this year 88 countries sent representatives to Sochi. Not only that, 2 years ago in London, 204 countries sent athletes which is a sharp contrast to the 1908 London Olympics where a paltry 22 nations participated. I feel that while the Olympics also represents the globalization of the world it also continues to represent competition and rivalry between countries. The amount of medals that your country’s athletes obtained is simply a number that her citizens can brag about as if they had somehow influenced the outcome. In a way the Olympics is a friendlier war because no one dies and nations can “fight” for the honor of being the best. When I think about the Olympics I think about the athletes. For them, the Olympics is not just a way for them to brag, the Olympics is a battlefield between the best from every country. It is a noble battle where everyone has the same dream and they will fight bitterly and bravely to the very end. When I first learned that Yuna had lost I was completely shocked. However, reflecting on the event now, I no longer feel embittered. While Yuna had lost by such a slim margin she had already achieved her dream, she had gone to the international stage and defeated the best for her country and brought it gold. Adelina Sotnikova may not have deserved her gold but as Yuna herself says that it is the judges who decide her score and you should respect it. I don’t really understand the fuss about the controversy because not only is Yuna okay with the outcome, figure skating is a sport and as many know in a sport the judge is absolute. Before it is a promise for the future, before it is a sign of the increasingly growing closer world, before it is an alternate form of war between nations, before it is bragging rights for the average citizen, the Olympics is essentially and primordially a sport between athletes.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy