The Olympic Spirit: The true spirit of the Olympics

k.p.thomas
I remember when I first saw the Winter Olympics. It was the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and my family watched Kim Yuna figure skate. I was completely mesmerized by her skating and as I watched her I could feel that she truly enjoyed what she was doing. Even though I only watched her because I was Korean, I was glued to the screen watching her glide through the ice as if she was a queen and I felt that for Yuna skating was her natural state. To me the Olympics represent many things. It represents the fact that despite our cultural, language, and ideological differences we are able to gather together and just have a fun time watching people compete. Not only that, The Olympics show our increasing globalization and the promising future. In its beginnings in the 1890’s, the early Olympics had primarily only European countries participating but this year 88 countries sent representatives to Sochi. Not only that, 2 years ago in London, 204 countries sent athletes which is a sharp contrast to the 1908 London Olympics where a paltry 22 nations participated. I feel that while the Olympics also represents the globalization of the world it also continues to represent competition and rivalry between countries. The amount of medals that your country’s athletes obtained is simply a number that her citizens can brag about as if they had somehow influenced the outcome. In a way the Olympics is a friendlier war because no one dies and nations can “fight” for the honor of being the best. When I think about the Olympics I think about the athletes. For them, the Olympics is not just a way for them to brag, the Olympics is a battlefield between the best from every country. It is a noble battle where everyone has the same dream and they will fight bitterly and bravely to the very end. When I first learned that Yuna had lost I was completely shocked. However, reflecting on the event now, I no longer feel embittered. While Yuna had lost by such a slim margin she had already achieved her dream, she had gone to the international stage and defeated the best for her country and brought it gold. Adelina Sotnikova may not have deserved her gold but as Yuna herself says that it is the judges who decide her score and you should respect it. I don’t really understand the fuss about the controversy because not only is Yuna okay with the outcome, figure skating is a sport and as many know in a sport the judge is absolute. Before it is a promise for the future, before it is a sign of the increasingly growing closer world, before it is an alternate form of war between nations, before it is bragging rights for the average citizen, the Olympics is essentially and primordially a sport between athletes.