The Olympic Spirit: Newfound Inspiration

deidrellnoraine
As a young child, I would casually watch the Olympics that would occasionally pop up now and then every 2 years, “oo-ing” and “ah-ing” at every event that seemed interesting. I simply just watched the Olympics because everyone else in the family appeared to be so excited about the competition aspect of the games. The Olympics never really meant much to me, and I was never really influenced in a dramatic way.

Seeing these young athletes dedicate their entire lives to maybe earn a medal looked so useless and worthless to my young 8-year-old self. I believed every Olympian missed out on the freedom of being a child, because they practiced as much as they could. However, as I presently look back at my past, I did not have that kind of ambition and dedication to a sport or hobby that Olympians have. Although Olympians work hard their entire life and may miss out on many things, it’s worth it when they finally win a medal or even participate in the Olympics.

Although I viewed the Olympics as “just another TV program” when I was younger, things have definitely changed since then. Seeing the games with a new set of eyes and a new mindset, I became inspired by the hardwork and determination that these athletes have exerted in order to put on their best performance. In particular, I was inspired by the male figure skater from Japan, Yuzuru Hanyu. The 2014 Sochi Olympics is his debut, but he took the spot for the youngest Asian athlete to win gold at a men’s event. His breathtaking performance silenced me for the entire 5 minutes, and I started to have an ambition towards figure skating. Through his passion for figure skating, Yuzuru Hanyu inspired me to find what I really enjoy doing in life. Nonetheless, if I end up not enjoying figure skating as I hope to, I have many other hobbies to try out and choose from. The learning process will be tough, but if it means finding what I truly enjoy in life, then all the hardship would be worth it.

The Olympics have never been dramatically influential throughout my younger years, but it has taught me some important life lessons. Through the Olympian Yuzuru Hanyu, I have learned that one should find that one thing that defines who he or she desires to be in order to achieve happiness. Just like Yuzuru, I will stumble and fall, but the ultimate prize of happiness will make all the sweat and tears worth it. Now as a 16-year-old, I no longer look at the Olympics as “boring”, but as a program defined by excitement, anticipation, and inspiration.