The Olympic Games: World Peace

AsianEric
Ever since when it was first established, The Olympics have been a source of very aggressive competition. Back in 500 B.C. Greece, the Olympics were a place where individual city-states can compete to show off their people. After the Greeks have fallen, friendly competition fell with new countries desiring land and ultimately resulted in wars rather than the Olympics. However, as civilization approached modern day, the institution of friendly competition was reestablished and the Olympics we know today was created.
I see the Olympics as an analog to national pride. Every two years most major countries send out their finest athletes to compete for medals and try to bring the most back home. In essence, every country competing in the game is attempting to convince the rest of the world that they are better. Some may look at this idea in a negative light, however I believe this analog could be used to create a more peaceful world for everyone. Many times, wars are used as a way to expand countries or to prove that one nation is better than another. This method is in essence a way to assert a countries power over another. Because the Olympics are a way for countries to show off who is better, I believe that sometime in the near future, wars could be eliminated; rather, countries can settle disputes through a well organized sporting event or a peaceful competition. Imagine a world where people no longer slaughter their fellow humans because they have a slight altercation in which they believe a country should be run. With the use of a global competition, a country can prove their wealth and power through their ability to perform in the games.
Many may think this idea is superficial and has no valid representation. However, I disagree. If we look at the past Olympic Games, the most medals are often given to the strongest country at the time. Take the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics, the U.S. commonly looked at the worlds strongest power took first, China a rising power took second, but a country like Taiwan (a tiny province off the coast of China) got around 20th. This is comparable to if the countries fought a real war. Using this as a basis, the Olympics are a decent representation of a nation’s power, and can be used to represent nations in war without war.