The Olympic Spirit: Strength and Perseverance

marinahettick
Every two years the entire world comes together for an enormous competition of athleticism. In the Olympic Games every nation is out to prove that they are the best. The idea of this great contest dates back to Ancient Greece, where the Greek city-states competed in various races and sports to honor the gods. The games were reinvented in 1894 and continue to bring the world together twice-yearly. Each country gathers their strongest athletes to represent their national pride and the games are televised around the world. These athletes work their entire lives and make many sacrifices to participate in these games and show the spirit of their country.
The spirit and determination of Olympic athletes are inspiring and show how much mankind is capable of. Gold medalist, Herb Elliott, once said, β€œIt is the inspiration of the Olympic Games that drives people not only to compete but to improve, and to bring lasting spiritual and moral benefits to the athlete and inspiration to those lucky enough to witness the athletic dedication.” The Olympics not only bring together the countries of the world, they promote individual strength and spirit. They are a place where dreams become reality and goals become accomplishments. Another gold medalist, Usain Bolt once stated, β€œI've worked hard over the years, I've been injured and I've worked hard through it, and I've made it.” Athletes like Usain prove that determination and perseverance are key in achieving greatness and inspire people all around the world. The Olympic spirit is not the nationalism in competing against other countries, it is the spirit of never giving up and exceeding expectations.
The Olympic Games and their athletes have displayed strength and athleticism since ancient times and continue to do so today. Athletes like Bolt and Elliott inspire me to persevere and fight hard to achieve greatness. The fighting spirit of the games has had an everlasting impact on the entire world.