The Olympic Spirit: Periods of Unity

chilipino9
Every two years when the summer and winter Olympic Games arrive, countries from all over the world send athletes to compete in events for glory and national pride. It is at this time that people come together to watch and cheer for their country as every day during the competition, athletes compete for the gold medals. All of the competing countries set aside their internal and foreign conflicts to bring about a sense of nationalism and competition to their country as well as prove to other nations how great their people are. Even though this year terrorists threatened to attack the Olympic stadium, they did not because of the great amount of nationality in all of the nations and the amount of security that Russia employed to keep the Games safe. During these games, my family sits together and watches the Olympic Games to see the competitive spirit of the event and to cheer for the athletes. This tradition of watching the Games has been going on for many years ever since I was little and continues even for this year’s Olympic Games at Sochi. Every time I see the athletes compete in their specified events, I always feel a sense of inspiration and excitement as the competition comes close between two or more athletes for gold. Events that are really interesting to me and get really intense to me are the sprinting and swimming events in the summer Olympics when the competition between the competitors comes very close to a tie. In these events, it is a thrill to watch the big competitors such as Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps try their hardest to keep their reputation of being one of the best. Whenever I watch the awards ceremonies after the events, I witness a great amount of good sportsmanship and happiness that inspires me to be a better person and to not get brought down by losing. After the Olympic Games end and the closing ceremony commences, I see the countries leave with great pride and nationalism. When I see the next country that is to host the next Olympic Games give a preview and watch the Olympic flame get extinguished, I become excited, waiting to see what the next Olympic Games has in store for the world. Every two years I get to share this feeling with the rest of the world knowing that it is during these times, the world comes together in a friendly competition for the top.