STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Olympic Spirit: My Dad's Curling Addiction

TrevRom
My dad warned us well in advanced that he was going to watch the Sochi Olympic games and by god he did. Weeks before the opening ceremony he set a multitude of recording devices courtesy of our new cable provider ( now that I think about it perhaps he put that dish up on our roof just for this very occasion). It seemed reasonable enough I mean a man has a right to watch his sports, right? Wrong. Unbeknownst to my mom and everyone else in the household he had recorded an obscene amount of Olympic programming that was now crowding up our newly purchased DVR list. Nothing cool like the blistering triathlons or speedy downhill snowboarding. No. The only thing we ever saw him watch was curling. Curling.

It was a few days before anybody said anything, but it truly became an addiction. My mom had to tell him to do some things around the house just to get him away from the semi-final qualifying rounds or something like that. It just didn't make any sense. Why would someone who rarely cleans the house become so interested in a sport that involves brooms?

I actually watched a couple of rounds and nearly died of boredom seeing the female Korean team slide a block across the ice and miss the red circle by a lot actually ( it seems like olympic teams could get it a little closer to the bullseye). My dad was nonetheless fascinated, he insisted that it was a combination of "Golf, Darts, and Bowling" the only sports where the people watching the sport exert more energy trying to keep themselves awake than the athletes do playing.

I had to hand it to him though, after a while it actually became entertaining even if it was just for the ridiculousness of it all. Soon I even found myself wandering around the house just so I could catch a glimpse of the sport. I wondered how it was that someone got into something like curling? It's not as if there are a plethora of curling arenas where one might show up and watch. The impracticalities became fascinating and by god I enjoyed it. I never thought I would.

Something about the Olympics was always interesting to me. As a little kid I enjoyed watching the sports and the opening ceremony simply for the spectacle of it all. There was always something new to be seen whenever I turned on the TV even if it was something as strange and wondrous as curling (Yes, I said those two words in a sentence). To me the Olympic spirit is one of a renewed sense of wonder for the miracle of human competition. Even if it is in bizarre sports that very few people will ever get the opportunity to participate in. I'm glad theres someone out there playing curling simply for the sake of competing against other countries around the world in something as wondrous as the Olympics.

Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Olympic Spirit essay being chosen as 1 of the essays in the running for 1st place in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment, so please feel free to share your “runner up” status with the world.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field. If you are selected as the winner of this month’s competition, we will contact you directly via the email you used for registration. We will be contacting the winner by Friday, March 14th.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time”

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:09:24 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy