The Olympic Spirit: The world on the edge of its seat

terryyoon
The summer and winter games have never ceased to captivate the world’s attention. More than 200 nations gathered together to perform a collection of sports, alternating every two years. A variety of sports athletes have trained for their entire lives. These athletes come out to represent one out of the five colored rings that symbolize the different areas of the world. As the athletes represent their nations, nations rise in support of their athletes. The Olympics has been around for many decades and still is widely celebrated today. To me, the Olympic Games are not only an incredible way for athletes to show their talent and strength, but also a great form of nationalism, bringing forth a plethora of national pride. I recently noticed the outrage Korean people have expressed over Olympic figure skater Yuna Kim’s silver medal in the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. Many mentioned how the gold medal was robbed from her. To me, this situation has made apparent the wide national pride that people have grasped onto for many years. A question, also relating to sports in general, will always remain unclear. At times people take sports and competition a little too seriously. However, for what? These Olympic wins do not personally affect those who are not directly involved. Possibly, it gives the country a sense of accomplishment. It does not seem completely clear to me as to why we take a country’s wins and defeats seriously, but I know for a fact that it brings the nation together in pride and patriotism.