The Olympic Spirit: National Unity

arp-arp
The Olympic Games have always been a time of unity for my family, when we sit down and watch the world compete for medals they've worked their entire lives for. Yet the same question always arises, who do we cheer on? In the year of 1992, my family moved to the United States from the former Soviet Union where they had lived their entire lives prior. Tensions between the two countries were finally over, and a new age of peace began. Previously the Olympic Games had been very controversial, with many alternate competitions and boycotts along the way. The 1980 summer Olympics in Moscow were protested and boycotted by the U.S., and in 1984 when Los Angeles hosted, the Soviet Union boycotted those. Now all of that is in the past, and both USA and Russia compete alongside each other in the games.

This competition has always been a source of intrigue and excitement in our household, and the Olympic Games are on nearly every night for their duration, from the opening to the closing ceremony. We follow almost every event, and have trouble deciding which team to root and cheer for, U.S., or Russia? Both countries have been a home to this family, so oftentimes we end up cheering and praising both sides. Sometimes, a Russian team competes with an American team, such as in hockey, speed-skating, and a few other sports. Watching two beloved countries compete with each other on a friendly field is a source of double the national pride, because no matter who wins the event, its always "our" team! As a result of our close following of the Olympic Games throughout many years, we have favorite athletes from both sides. Evgeni Plushenko is a Russian figure skater who has taken several gold medals throughout the history of the games, and his routines are always a time of "shhh"-ing and cheering, with everyone trying to predict, what exactly will happen next? On the other side of the world, Shaun White is another favorite of ours, an American skate and snowboarder, and we look in awe as he performs mind-blowing stunts.

The Olympic Games have helped to bring about unity between nations, between households, and between families worldwide. Unity of all nations competing for glory is, for me, the true Olympic Spirit.