"The Olympic Spirit What it Means to Me: Peace, Unity, and Trust"

fornlo
Beneath the spectacular shows of athleticism, coordination, and skill in the Olympics lies an implied covenant of peace, unity and trust. Similarly, acclaimed actor Jackie Chan states “Olympics for me is love, peace, united.” Through time the Olympics have stood for these principles.
These Olympic Games, being held only during peacetime, celebrate peace and champion a friendly competition. While a friendly competition seems like an impossible juxtaposition it is rather a present paradox. Not only do the games represent the competitive spirit and the will to win in athletics but the games also represent the ability of nations to stage these athletes in a respectable and fair event. Where there is peace there is the Olympics, and where there is animosity between nations the Olympics are suspended. For example, the 1916 and 1944 summer Olympics were cancelled by World War 1 and 2 respectively. Thus the Olympics pay homage to laying down the weapons and instead dealing with problems diplomatically and tactfully.
The Olympics logo itself is a symbol of unity and the peace required for it. The five joined rings represent the union of the five inhabited continents which participate in the festivities. Participation in the games means that the country is in sync with the world. In 1952 the Soviet Union did not participate in the Summer Olympics which served to separate them as the rift between American ideologies and the Soviet Union differed.
Trust is essential to any relationship, especially one between all nations. In order to conduct the Olympics there must be trust between the host nation and all the other participating countries. Trust that the athletes who represent our country will be treated well and protected. Terrorist threats to the Olympics have tested that trust, but the intercontinental trust proves strong. The 2002 Winter Olympics held shortly after the September eleventh terrorist attacks in Salt Lake City, Utah went on. Recently the Sochi games have endured terrorist threats but again the games go on. It almost seems silly not to send your athletes to the games lacking confidence in the host nation.
To be an Olympian is an honor. In fact Olympus in Greek Mythology is where the Gods reside and the Olympics accentuates that these athletes are somewhat divine, for these athletes are diplomats standing for the Olympic spirit of peace, unity, and trust.