The Olympic Spirit: A Laurel Wreath at the End of the Tunnel

GeorgiaReilly
The Olympics allow for a glowing distraction to our dimmer lives. Our world’s history can be vaguely described as a continuous cycle of wars interspersed with times of peace. Remarkably, despite all of the shortcomings of foreign relationships, the potential for greatness found in the Olympics consistently prevails over international tensions. It seems the prospect that those we consider to be special can rise above and achieve momentary greatness drags each of us farther away from our own reality and into the TV screen, standing beside our nation’s victors and feeling the blissful peace constantly yearned for.
As an athlete, I can confidently describe competitive sports as an equally unending cycle of failures paired with the token victory. The inevitable bumps in one’s life path provide a relatable parallel to the Olympian’s own challenging journey. Watching these athletes’ dreams transform into reality provides a beacon of hope that the same outcome is possible for you. While our own end goal may or may not include something as publicized as the Olympic Games, we are instilled with the belief that our own greatness is also in reach.
The traditionally lighted torch truly does embody the Olympic Spirit; it represents a blindingly hopeful light that illuminates the darkest corners of our world and shines onto a peaceful laurel otherwise unobtainable.